[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PC-Based NNTP News Reader

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (09/18/90)

In article <1895@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <34723.26f1098d@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> snms4@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>|
>|          I'm searching for a PC-Based Usenet news reader.
>
>  What problems did you have with the one posted to cbip? v07i119:
>pcnews.

On a slight tangent to this thread: Is there such a thing as a PC based News
reader which will let an IBM PC operate as an NNTP client via a network?
Something like rn or nn which would run on my '386 clone instead of my having
to log onto another machine to read news.

Any help much appreciated!

--
Scott Coleman
University of Illinois

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (09/18/90)

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) recently informed us:
>On a slight tangent to this thread: Is there such a thing as a PC based News
>reader which will let an IBM PC operate as an NNTP client via a network?
>Something like rn or nn which would run on my '386 clone instead of my having
>to log onto another machine to read news.

Well, FSUUCP will *technically* do this.

If you have a network setup such that you have common drives, you can
set up the fsuucp.cfg file to point to the news directory on the remote
machine. If you are running something like "The $25 Network" where drives
are shared but not named the same (see figure below) there is an option
in the fsuucp.cfg file "serveralias" that will map the drive properly.

machine A: has drives C and D and exports D
machine B: has drives C and D and exports them both

machine A will see C, D, E, F (where E and F are machine B's C and D)
machine B will see C, D, E (where E is drive A's D)

Now... if you are running news on machine B, and machine A has all the files,
you make your fsuucp.cfg file access all the files on drive E, which is really
machine A's D. You then put a line in your fsuucp.cfg:

serveralias;d

which will tell the news software to substitute "d" as the drive on any
postings (otherwise the files will have the remote drive alias (E in this
case) and when machine A ran anything on the news it would have the wrong
name).

I hope this helps...

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@fubarsys.slo.ca.us
---

In article <26f5af4c.eda@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:

| Now... if you are running news on machine B, and machine A has all the files,
| you make your fsuucp.cfg file access all the files on drive E, which is really
| machine A's D. You then put a line in your fsuucp.cfg:

  I think you have confused NNTP with something else, possibly NFS or
Novell Netware(tm). NNTP does not mount files, it connects a client and
server through sockets. Not related to drive anything, it's a connection
between a process called an NNTP server and a number of clients on other
machines.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX