[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Backup to multiple diskettes

anigbogu@loria.crin.fr (Julian Anigbogu) (09/18/90)

Please could somebody point me to a program in the simtel archives
that permits the backup of a hard-disk directory onto several
diskettes. I have a lot of files in directory that belong together and
I would like to avoid having to calculate and select files accordingly
before copying to diskettes.

Thanks in advance.

Julian
------

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/19/90)

anigbogu@loria.crin.fr (Julian Anigbogu) writes:

> Please could somebody point me to a program in the simtel archives
> that permits the backup of a hard-disk directory onto several
> diskettes. I have a lot of files in directory that belong together and
> I would like to avoid having to calculate and select files accordingly
> before copying to diskettes.

I've tried Jean Lalonde's FILL with success.  It will preserve directories,
delete after copying, format when necessary, etc.

--
  Waffle - the breakfast of champions!

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (09/19/90)

If you're just backing up a single sub-directory, why don't you use DOS's
backup? "BACKUP C:\PROGRAM\STARTREK A: /S /E". In the many years that I have
been using DOS and BACKUP I've never ever had a problem. (And I've use it alot!)

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/20/90)

In article <2726@loria.crin.fr> anigbogu@loria.crin.fr (Julian Anigbogu) writes:
>Please could somebody point me to a program in the simtel archives
>that permits the backup of a hard-disk directory onto several
>diskettes. I have a lot of files in directory that belong together and
>I would like to avoid having to calculate and select files accordingly
>before copying to diskettes.

   There are several alternatives (as you can see from other
only snag is that the switches are so abundant that it'll take some
figuring to set it working appropriately.
   The usual claimer :-) holds: Available by anonymous ftp from
chyde.uwasa.fi.

  BTW, such a utility would not be overly difficult to write eg in
Turbo Pascal.  The well-know trick would be to use the archive bit
as a marker which files have already been copied, which not.  In
fact, a clever use of xcopy _might_ achieve the same thing.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

anigbogu@loria.crin.fr (Julian Anigbogu) (09/20/90)

A big thanks to all who replied pointing me to Jean Lalonde's FILL.
I've tried to respond individually but to stop the avalanche of
acknowledgement to this newsgroup.

THANKS !!!!

Julian
------