[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Scheme interpreter for MS-DOS

DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) (09/19/90)

Does anyone know of a public version of Scheme exists for MS-DOS, compiler
and/or interpreter? Thanks.
--Dwaine

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (09/19/90)

In <90261.190248DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu> DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:

>Does anyone know of a public version of Scheme exists for MS-DOS, compiler
>and/or interpreter? Thanks.
>--Dwaine
Not public, but pretty cheap:  MIT Press is selling a scheme
interpreter for $36.  Judging from the documentation, it's the same
interpreter that TI has been selling for $100 for several
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!ergo	Silicon Valley, CA

Collins's Law:
	If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything.

Corollaries ("Rabinovitch's Rules of Sane Dialogue"):
	1. Everybody who matters is stupid now and then.
	2. If I'm being stupid, that's my problem.
	3. If my being stupid makes you stupid, that's your problem.
	4. If you think you're never stupid, boy are you stupid!

davem@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Dave McQuate) (09/20/90)

... from a recent posting to comp.sources.d ...
A new release of the Elk Scheme implementation ("Extension Language Kit")
is available for anonymous FTP on

mcsun.eu.net   [192.16.202.1]  (~ftp/programming/languages/elk-scheme/) and
funic.funet.fi [128.214.6.100] (~ftp/pub/unix/languages/scheme/).

The file name is elk-1.2.tar.Z (0.5 MBytes).

An extract from the Elk 1.2. Release Notes...

Elk (Extension Language Kit) is a Scheme interpreter intended to be
used as a general extension language; it is also useful as a stand-alone
implementation of Scheme.

One purpose of the Elk project is to end the recent proliferation of
mutually incompatible Lisp-like extension languages.  Instead of
inventing and implementing yet another extension language, application
programmers can link the Scheme interpreter into their application
in order to make it extensible and highly customizable.

The Elk project was started in 1987 to support ISOTEXT, an ODA-based
document system (a WYSIWYG editor) that is being developed at the
Technical University of Berlin.  Elk has been successfully demonstrated
as the extension language kernel of ISOTEXT, e.g. at the Hanover Fair 1989.

We feel that Scheme is better suited as a general extension language
than other Lisp dialects:  it is sufficiently small to not dwarf the
application it serves and to be fully understood with acceptable
effort; it is orthogonal and well-defined.  In addition, Scheme has
been recognized to be mature enough for national and international
standardization (IEEE P1178, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG16).

The Elk Scheme implementation is R^3RS compatible (with some minor
exceptions that are listed in the documentation); future releases will
conform to the R^4RS and/or P1178 as soon as the respective standards
become available.

Non-standard features of the Scheme implementation include:

 o  dynamic loading of object files
 o  creation of an executable image from the running
	     interpreter (``dump'')
 o  a macro facility
 o  environments as first-class objects
 o  dynamic-wind, fluid-let
 o  autoloading, provide/require

The Scheme interpreter can easily be extended by application-specific
new types and primitive procedures.  Such extensions are typically
written in C or C++ and dynamically loaded into the running interpreter.

The current release of Elk includes several such extensions, e.g.
interfaces to the X11 Xlib and to the application programmer interface
of the Xt intrinsics, and interfaces to the Athena, HP (obsolete), and
OSF/Motif widget sets.

unhd (Brent W. Benson) (09/22/90)

In article <13394@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.uucp writes:
>In <90261.190248DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu> (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a public version of Scheme exists for MS-DOS, compiler
>>and/or interpreter? Thanks.
>>--Dwaine
>Not public, but pretty cheap:  MIT Press is selling a scheme
>interpreter for $36.  Judging from the documentation, it's the same
>interpreter that TI has been selling for $100 for several

Before spending any money, XScheme is a fairly useful (IMHO)
implementation of Scheme that is available FOR FREE by anonymous ftp
on terminator.cc.umich.edu.  It seems to compile without hitch on
DOS machines.
--
 _                 _
|__/|_| \__/|_|_| |_|     University of New Hampshire (b_benson@unhh)

dak@sq.sq.com (David A Keldsen) (09/22/90)

DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:

>Does anyone know of a public version of Scheme exists for MS-DOS, compiler
>and/or interpreter? Thanks.
>--Dwaine

It's about that time, I think.  Does anyone have a nice FAQ (Frequently
Asked Questions (and answers)) list that they can post?

I'll construct one, if there are no other volunteers.

(And in for a brief answer to your question, there is an inexpensive Scheme
implementation from TI, "PC-Scheme," now available from Scientific Press
with a decent text, for less than $40.  There are also SIOD, XScheme, Elk
(a new version has just been released), Fools Lisp, and a couple of others
that are in development.)

Dak
--
David A. 'Dak' Keldsen:  dak@sq.com or dak%sq.com@neat.cs.toronto.edu
"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (09/23/90)

In article <13394@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.uucp writes:

>Not public, but pretty cheap:  MIT Press is selling a scheme
>interpreter for $36.  Judging from the documentation, it's the same
>interpreter that TI has been selling for $100 for several

Actually, it's the Student Edition of TI PC-Scheme, omitting
expanded/extended memory support and foreign functions, but including
everything else. It's, of course, a fantastic deal. We've ordered it for
our first year students (the campus Bookstore screwed the order up, so
the students have to make do with NeXTs :-)

I am given to understand that MIT also markets the full TI product,
running at the same price (US$100) that TI charges (charged? I don't
know whether TI still market it).

As for PD/free versions, you might look at XScheme (available lots of
places) and something Ozan Yagit has written, called PSI, which he
promised us all he'd make available as a beta version RSN.
--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."