[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] mac sounds

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) (09/14/90)

I really liked the idea of having some cool
sounds on my PC (we all know to what 'great' sounds this machine
is capable;);). Could someone please post or email me some more
sounds?

And another thing. I tried connecting my modem (Evercom 24e) to
my roomates Zoom modem, to try and transfer some of his mac-sounds
to my Pc, and for some reason It got to the first block but no farther.
What parameters did I miss?

Email would be appreciated;)

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) (09/19/90)

Since I requested leads for mac sound files for remac about a week ago, I have
recieved many requests to forward sound files etc, etc, etc.  What I have
decided to do is this:

I have all of the mac sounds which I have found so far on my account, and
in a day or so I will post a summary of all the sounds.  If anyone would
like any of them, just send me mail at schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu,
with the subject request, and put the files you would like (list them all) in
the mail body of the letter.  I will mail them, one sound per file, soon after
I recieve your request.  If you have some sounds that are not on my list
that I post, feel free to mail them to me, and I will occasionally post
an update listing the new sounds which I have available.

Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com (greg lloyd) (09/19/90)

In article <14106@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
 (Dan Schikore) writes:
> I have all of the mac sounds which I have found so far on my account, and
> in a day or so I will post a summary of all the sounds.  If anyone would
> like any of them, just send me mail at schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu,
> with the subject request, and put the files you would like (list them all)
> in the mail body of the letter.  I will mail them, one sound per file,
> soon after I recieve your request.

A few months ago I had an ongoing e-mail conversation with someone at a
university in Hawaii who had set up an archive site where a large number
of mac (remac) sound files were being kept.  I believe his first name was
Dave.  I was trying to help him get mail server software.  I have long
since lost all my information on this person and the archive site but I
thought that maybe someone reading here might have some info.

I hope someone will be able to shed some light on this.  I am interested
in remac sound files also.

J. Greg Lloyd
Systems Application Engineering
3655 Westcenter Dr.  Houston, TX 77042
lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com    ph: (713) 274-5260

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (09/19/90)

In article <14106@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:
> ... I will post a summary of all the sounds.  If anyone would
> like any of them, just send me mail at schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu,
> with the subject request, and put the files you would like (list them all) in
> the mail body of the letter.  I will mail them, one sound per file...

Suggestion: After you've received a ton of requests, why not post the 5 most
popular sounds to c.b.i.p?

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (09/20/90)

In article <14106@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:
>I have all of the mac sounds which I have found so far on my account, and
>in a day or so I will post a summary of all the sounds.

The directory msdos/sound on terminator.cc.umich.edu, accessible by
anonymous FTP, has remac.zip and a number of .sou files playable by
remac.

 Sean Malloy                                   | American Non Sequitur Society
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  |
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      |    "We may not make sense,
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         |     but we do like pizza."

schikore@ecn.purdue.edu (Schikore, Dan) (09/20/90)

<
<I hope someone will be able to shed some light on this.  I am interested
<in remac sound files also.

Dave contacted me and told me that he has these files which you mention
available by anonymous FTP.  Rather than mailing files to people, I will
be uploading my sound files to ccb.ucsf.edu.

Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

P.S. To someone sent me a list of sounds, please mail me again.  I saved your
mail, but then I couldn't reply without my mail bouncing.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/20/90)

lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com (greg lloyd) writes:
> A few months ago I had an ongoing e-mail conversation with someone at a
> university in Hawaii who had set up an archive site where a large number
> of mac (remac) sound files were being kept.  I believe his first name was
> Dave.  I was trying to help him get mail server software.  I have long
> since lost all my information on this person and the archive site but I
> thought that maybe someone reading here might have some info.

That would be David Komatsu.  Here's a piece of mail I still have
lying around from the mailing list; I haven't seen anything in it
since then.  Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 1990 0:13:27 GMT-10:00
From: David Komatsu <komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
To: nobody@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Subject: New additions to FTP site

This file contains an update of new stuff as of 7/11/90

edit.zip has just been put on.  This is an editor for those of you who
have been having trouble with configuring playmac.  Please be patient
because this editor was written in 2 days due to the high demand and may
one day be integrated with Playmac.  So far many of you have responded
to playmac and it is out hope to continue to provide quality utilities.

Misc/Good.zip has been added

   This has 3 100k files in it and they are musical and very good sounding.
   This file is highly reccomended.

Please always look at the files marked
=newx.x= because that shows the day a new file has been added.  If you
wish to be current check this every two weeks.  After two weeks the old
=new*= files will be deleted and information can be found in the
=files=.  The =new= is provided so frequent users don't have to always
grab the whole list.

Once again if you have any files you wish to have put on the FTP site mail
them to :  komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

Also if you know how to use/setup a mail server let me know or if you have
time on your hands and would be willing to help mail out files to those who do
not have ftp access also let me know.  Those willing to help mail these files
out will be given special privs including up to the minute updates and sound
files.

-----> Dave
komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
sound@ccb.ucsf.edu

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (09/20/90)

In article <9aRRP1w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> Once again if you have any files you wish to have put on the FTP site mail
> them to :  komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
>
> -----> Dave
> komatsu@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
> sound@ccb.ucsf.edu

Dave administers the archive available for anonymous FTP here
at ccb.ucsf.edu [128.218.1.13] in subdirectory Pub/Sound_list
but he is reachable at the e-mail address given before.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (09/20/90)

There is a mailing list devoted to mac sounds.  Although it's been
kinda quiet since the beginning of sept. there is an ftp site for the
sounds.

It is:

ccb.ucsf.edu

in the Pub/Sound_list directory.

Enjoy.

PQ?

schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) (09/23/90)

Earlier I said that I would be mailing mac sounds out to anyone who wanted
them.  Instead, they have all been uploaded to ccb.ucsf.edu in the
Pub/Sound_list/Upload directory.  Included are President Bush, "Thank You,
God Bless You, and God bless the USA", a few Alfs, Simpsons, and many
others.  Have fun.

-Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

komatsu@alcor.usc.edu (-----> Dave) (09/23/90)

In article <14287@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:
>Earlier I said that I would be mailing mac sounds out to anyone who wanted
>them.  Instead, they have all been uploaded to ccb.ucsf.edu in the
>Pub/Sound_list/Upload directory.  Included are President Bush, "Thank You,
>God Bless You, and God bless the USA", a few Alfs, Simpsons, and many
>others.  Have fun.
>
>-Dan Schikore
>schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

Special thanks to Dan Schikore for the uploads to ccb.ucsf.edu.  I have
done some reorganizing and the following was done.

(1)  All Simpsons sounds were moved to the Simpsons directory
(2)  All other recent uploads (including the Pres. Bush, Alfs) have
     been moved to the Misc2 directory.

Basically the reason is very cosmetic and also to clear the Upload
directory which was starting to get a bit cluttered.  This sound site
now carries over 10 megabytes of sound files for the mac/ibm computers
and we welcome anybody to anonymous ftp.  For those without FTP access
don't fret because we are working out details in which we will offer
disks of sounds.  We are still in tentative talks to please refrain
from sending e-mail requesting sound disks a announcement will be
made shortly.

sound@ccb.ucsf.edu                |   The CCB sound site contains
komatsu@aludra.usc.edu            |   10 + megs of sound for d/ls
komatsu@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu    |