[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] UNIX-like dd for DOS

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (09/24/90)

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:

>In article <59873@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>>MSDOS DEBUG will do this, albeit not "conveniently".

[Text deleted]

>What is needed is a clone of the Unix dd program.
>Example:	`dd if=file of=a: bs=1k count=360`

A very good version of "dd" for DOS comes with the MKS Toolkit.
You just have to choose the right 'bs=...' value, otherwise
it will be slooooooow. The first time I did not specify any value
so it used 1 (yes, 1 byte (!) at a time). After reading the
manual page completely, I changed the bs-value to the tracksize
and it was much faster. Another caveat is to insert a floppy with the
same density you want to read with dd. But, I think that
is the way DOS (or BIOS ?) handles floppies. It just assumes after booting
that you have a 180k (or was it 160k ?) Byte Floppy in your
multi-density drive. :-)

I am not sure, but I think, a 'dd' for DOS was included in the
uxutl162.zoo archive posted several weeks ago in c.b.i.p. However, I did
not try it, yet.

I used the MKS 'dd' for copying a SCO XENIX boot floppy before using it the
first time (for a backup). It worked without problems for me.

Norbert Bladt.
--
Please use this path as return address. DON'T USE THE RETURN PATH IN THE HEADER
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland