[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need driver for TEAC FD-235HF-101 3.5" disk drive

dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) (09/22/90)

I am looking for a software driver for using a TEAC 3.5" disk drive in
an IBM AT, with the standard AT floppy controller and the TEAC CS-235
5.25" adapter kit.

I know that a company called "Bastech" provides such a driver, although I
do not know how to contact this company.

Any help (please respond by email) would be much appreciated.
--
Dave Dittrich		INTERNET: dittrich@u.washington.edu
(206) 685-2438		UUCP:	  ...uw-beaver!u.washington.edu!dittrich

len@lsicom2.UU.NET (Len Rose) (09/25/90)

dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) writes:

>I am looking for a software driver for using a TEAC 3.5" disk drive in
>an IBM AT, with the standard AT floppy controller and the TEAC CS-235
>5.25" adapter kit.

I am curious about this. Wouldn't it be cheaper and more reliable to
replace the bios rom with a version that supports 3.5 inch drives
directly?

Len

kaldis@emerald.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (09/25/90)

In article <7952@milton.u.washington.edu> dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) writes:

> I am looking for a software driver for using a TEAC 3.5" disk drive in
> an IBM AT, with the standard AT floppy controller and the TEAC CS-235
> 5.25" adapter kit.

If you are using PC-DOS 3.20 or SOME versions of MS-DOS 3.21, you can
include the DRIVPARM command in your CONFIG.SYS with the appropriate
flags (which are the same as those for DRIVER.SYS).

> I know that a company called "Bastech" provides such a driver, although I
> do not know how to contact this company.

If you can't use DRIVPARM, why not use the DRIVER.SYS device driver
supplied with DOS?  Put the following line in your CONFIG.SYS:

	DEVICE=<path>DRIVER.SYS /D:n /F:p /H:q /T:r /S:s

where <path> is the path to the file DRIVER.SYS (C:\ if it's in root),
n is the drive number (0 for A:, 1 for B:, etc.), p is the "form
factor" (2 for a 720K drive, or 7 for a 1.44 Meg), q is the number of
heads (2), r is the number of tracks per side (80 for a 3.5 inch
drive), and s is the number of sectors per track (9 for a 720K drive,
or 16 for a 1.44 Meg).

Also, I'm not certain about this, but I believe that the CMOS RAM
information has to be set to one less drive than is actually on the
system.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away