[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Using SMTP mail from DOS

robert%juno@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) (10/01/90)

Hi,
   We have some PC's hooked up to our unix machines through ethernet
running PC-NFS. Does anybody know of a utility which will permit people
to read,save and send mail from the PC's rather than having to login to
one of the unix hosts? This would be very handy since some people have
PC's running PC-NFS in their rooms, know very little about unix but
still like to use email. We are using sendmail as mail delivery system.

Any help appreciated.
--
Dr. Roberto Togneri
Dept. of EE Engineering                 EMAIL: robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au

robert%zeus@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) (10/01/90)

OK,
	I think I've put my foot in it this time. If I had read my
PC-NFS manual it describes a product called PC-NFS LifeLine which
is exactly what I was asking for. So that it wasn't a complete loss
I'll change my query to:

Has anybody used PC-NFS LifeLine? What do you think of it?
Also how much does it cost if we already have PC-NFS 3.0.1?

Thanks for your help,
--

wswietse@svbs01.bs.win.tue.nl (Wietse Venema) (10/01/90)

robert%juno@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) writes:

>   We have some PC's hooked up to our unix machines through ethernet
>running PC-NFS. Does anybody know of a utility which will permit people
>to read,save and send mail from the PC's rather than having to login to
>one of the unix hosts? This would be very handy since some people have
>PC's running PC-NFS in their rooms, know very little about unix but
>still like to use email. We are using sendmail as mail delivery system.

Instead of using SMTP, you might consider to use the pc-mail package.
It manages a mail data base (directory) that can be mounted from a
file server. The DOS users can use their favourite text editor to
compose messages. Daemon processes running on the file server take
care of message delivery. The user interface programs can even be
run under UNIX, so that people can use the same user interface when
they dial in from outside.

Sources/binaries can be ftped from host ftp.win.tue.nl (131.155.2.8).

The following is a list of features available with the second release
that was posted January 1990 to comp.sources.misc.

@(#) FEATURES 2.1 90/01/22 13:52:19

The following is a summary of features available with the  second
pc-mail  release.   Features not available in the initial release
are tagged with (new).

- (new) A user tutorial.

- Messages can be composed with any word processing package  that
produces clean ASCII textfiles.

- Alias data base to map human-readable names to  ugly  mail  ad-
dresses.

- (new) Customized header lines and signatures.

- (new) Selective suppression of ugly header lines.

- (new) Subject: lines are shown in the message-selection menus.

- (new) A reply command that extracts the sender's  address  from
the  message  being  replied to. The text of the original message
can be included in the reply.

- (new) Piping of messages through a command; this is useful  for
messages that contain encoded files.

- (new) Support for message transport  through  daemon  processes
that  run  on  a  file server. Tested with System-V Release 2 and
SunOS 4.0.3 and later SunOS releases.

asbuilt@sjrpp.UUCP (SJRPP CAD Drafting Staff) (10/01/90)

In article <robert.654758277@zeus> robert%zeus@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) writes)
 :-) OK,
 :-) 	I think I've put my foot in it this time. If I had read my
 :-) PC-NFS manual it describes a product called PC-NFS LifeLine which
 :-) is exactly what I was asking for. So that it wasn't a complete loss
 :-) I'll change my query to:
 :-)
 :-) Has anybody used PC-NFS LifeLine? What do you think of it?
 :-) Also how much does it cost if we already have PC-NFS 3.0.1?
 :-)
 :-) Thanks for your help,
 :-) --
 :-) Dr. Roberto Togneri
 :-) Dept. of EE Engineering                 EMAIL: robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au
 :-) The University of Western Australia     INTERNET: robert@zeus.ee.uwa.oz.au

We use PC-NFS Lifeline here and have no major problems with it.
The only thing that is strange is that Lifeline Mail puts the
retrieved mail spool files in <%NFSDRIVE%>/nfsmail/<LOGNAME> which
makes it a little trouble to retrive read mail for follow-ups
from the unix side. We define %NFSDRIVE% as a logical (net) drive
which allows us to access read mail from the UNIX terminals. It also
creates a ".ndx" file for each folder for some reason?
I'm going to take a look at some other PC-UNIX mail utility
programs (pcmail is one I can think of) for comparison.
One nice thing about the Lifeline product is it's relative
low cost ($125) and the back-up utility that tar's your pc files
(hard disk or logical drives) to tape or whatever.
--
CADD Drafting Staff     UUCP:...gatech!uflorida!unf7!sjrpp!asbuilt
St. Johns River Power Park -------- Technical Services Deptartment