[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 3.5" driver

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/05/90)

Could someone point me to software that allows using 3.5" drives with early
BIOS's?  If it makes a difference, I have a Phoenix BIOS 2.0 on a 286 system.
Thanks.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.200324.14612@nntp-server.caltech.edu> madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>Could someone point me to software that allows using 3.5" drives with early
>BIOS's?  If it makes a difference, I have a Phoenix BIOS 2.0 on a 286 system.

The set of files contained in FDFORM15.ZIP will probably fix you up.  This is
a great package that provides 3.5" 720K and 1.44Meg support to users that
are stuck with early BIOS's.  Documentation is extensive, but not the easiest
to understand.  Installation can be confusing, but once you've got it in its
simple to use:  Reads and Writes from/to the disk work transparently.  The
only minor catch is that you've got to use the formatter that comes with the
package to format disks...not too bad.

On simtel, its in PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>.

I run into this question about once a month or so; if the FAQ moderator is
listening it may be worth while to include this question in the FAQ list.