[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] MOUSE DRIVERS

srini@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (K.Srinivasan) (09/29/90)

Can anybody explain why the Microsoft mouse driver has been growing
much faster than the inflation rate. The new memory hungry programs
seem to do a lot of mouse driving themselves and should infact need
less of memory resident mouse code.
MOUSE version 5.02-----  8809 bytes
MOUSE version 5.03-----  9048 bytes
MOUSE version 6.02----- 13878 bytes
MOUSE version 6.25----- 14358 bytes
MOUSE version 7.00----- 26514 bytes
MOUSE version 7.04----- 31833 bytes
MOUSE version 9.5 ----- may need more than 640 Kbytes!!!!
srini@ireq.hydro.qc.ca

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (10/01/90)

While it's true that the mouse driver seems to be larger, the actual memory
being taken is 14,976 bytes. While it is still increasing, it's not as bad as
it seems. Just an observation.

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

everett@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (10/03/90)

My hunch is that the mouse driver "file" contains a LOT of code for different
pieces of hardware (ie, different mice) besides just Microsoft's, and that
they only keep in memory the code actually needed for the mouse that's found.

For example, the latest mouse drivers from Microsoft know how to work properly
with the HP-HIL mouse that is available for most of HP's Vectra computers.  By
having this code in the mouse driver, they don't need a lot of special drivers
for different mice/computers.  This is especially important in environments
like Microsoft Windows, for example.

So, the file MOUSE.SYS continues to grow as Microsoft supports more and more
hardware, but the amount of memory used by the LOADED driver grows much more
slowly, as only the needed code is kept in memory after initialization.

Then, on the other hand, I could be completely wrong.

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (10/04/90)

In article <3173@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> srini@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (K.Srinivasan) writes:
>Can anybody explain why the Microsoft mouse driver has been growing
>much faster than the inflation rate. The new memory hungry programs
>seem to do a lot of mouse driving themselves and should infact need
>less of memory resident mouse code.
>MOUSE version 5.02-----  8809 bytes
>MOUSE version 5.03-----  9048 bytes
>MOUSE version 6.02----- 13878 bytes
>MOUSE version 6.25----- 14358 bytes
>MOUSE version 7.00----- 26514 bytes
>MOUSE version 7.04----- 31833 bytes
>MOUSE version 9.5 ----- may need more than 640 Kbytes!!!!
>srini@ireq.hydro.qc.ca

Could someone please Email me a copy of a 7.* mouse driver?

I think that's legal, because there is no use for a mouse
driver unless you have a mouse.

It is very difficult for me to contact Microsoft, because
I live in the Netherlands, so it would me much easier if
someone sent me a copy.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Schaap
msschaa@cs.vu.nl

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (10/06/90)

In article <7832@star.cs.vu.nl> msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
>Could someone please Email me a copy of a 7.* mouse driver?
>
>I think that's legal, because there is no use for a mouse
>driver unless you have a mouse.

It is certainly NOT legal. mouse.com is (C) Microsoft, and the license
agreement says explicitly that you may only use one copy, you can't
give away copies. It is also in violation of international treaties
and international copyright laws.

You should contact the dealer who sold you the
mouse. Also, Microsoft always includes the latest version of the mouse
driver with most of their software, even compilers and stuff.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death