[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PC emacs

alansari@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) (10/04/90)

Where can one get a good emacs implementations for a DOS based
machine? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Mohammad Al-Ansari
Computer Science Department
Indiana University

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (10/05/90)

In article <62179@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, alansari@copper (Mohammad Al-Ansari) writes:

>Where can one get a good emacs implementations for a DOS based
>machine?

Before everybody start following up like crazy, may I ask that
everybody interested in this question please grab the summary
from the comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc archives...  If you have anything
*new* to add, then by all means post it.  But I'm almost certain
that we're going to see five people posting instructions on
how to get Freemacs or whatever...

For people who don't know what I'm talking about, the archives live
on math.princeton.edu [128.112.128.157 for people with bogus host files],
available for anonymous ftp in the directory pub/rjc/csip/editor.Z

People who cannot ftp may obtain a copy by sending email to the
server program at rjc@math.princeton.edu, with a blank subject line,
and containing solely the two words

	send editor

P.S., I'm thinking of posting selected contents of the archives.
Anybody want to vote on which items they think would be most useful,
please send me email.

jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) (10/05/90)

alansari@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) writes:

>Where can one get a good emacs implementations for a DOS based
>machine? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Check out Epslion by Lugaru Software -- Good emacs clone.  It's programmable
in a C like syntax, editor sources included.

No affiliation - just a satisfied user.

-jeff-

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/06/90)

In article <62179@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> alansari@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) writes:

>Where can one get a good emacs implementations for a DOS based
>machine? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

    The best we've found is Epsilon, from Lugaru Software (412) 421-5911.

    The biggest disadvantage is that your emacs extension code won't work
because Epsilon's extension language isn't Lisp, it's C.

    Strangely enough, the biggest advantage is that your emacs extension
code won't work because Epsilon's extension language isn't Lisp, it's C.

    It's the best programmer's editor I've ever used, and I wish to h*ll it
was available on UNIX generally. (It is available for xenix and microport).

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.