[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Turbo C++ bug fixes?

dfoster@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Derek R. Foster) (10/04/90)

I know that at least one set of bug fixes for Turbo C++ was uploaded to
SIMTEL recently. I have applied these to my copy of TC++, but was surprised
to find that by far the most annoying bug to me was not fixed. The one I am
speaking of is the fact that when I run a program from within the IDE,
my mouse cursor becomes invisible and won't become visible again unless
I exit and restart TC++. Obviously, an invisible mouse cursor is essentially
unusable. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?
Is there another set of bug fixes around that I haven't seen? Why haven't
I heard anyone else mention this bug? I have had the same problem on
two completely different systems, so I think it's unlikely that my
hardware or mouse software is at fault. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Derek Foster

levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Druid Allanon,Integrator,2659050,2652545) (10/04/90)

From article <8843@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by dfoster@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Derek R. Foster):
> two completely different systems, so I think it's unlikely that my
> hardware or mouse software is at fault. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Derek Foster
Sorry to tell you, but it is your mouse software. I had the same problem
with my Genius GM-6000. An upgrade to the newer driver fixed it. Version
9.03 I think.  But I still have the problem of no mouse support in TD.
The only way I can fix this one is to run Microsoft's driver and my
mouse in two button mode. Any care to take a stab at this one???

Hope this helps.

-Walden

PS: Netland: Sorry about the dual posting, if one exists. Not sure if
	my last posting got out.
Walden H. Leverich III               | Inet: levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu
     ECE Dept.                       | CServ: 73237,2212 <- checked weekly
 Clarkson University                 | SnailMail: 100 Market St.
                                     |            N.C.M. Apt 18
                                     |            Potsdam, NY 13676-1703
#include <std_disclamer_about_what_I_say>

dfoster@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Derek R. Foster) (10/05/90)

Regarding my problems with my mouse cursor disappearing in
Turbo C++: I received e-mail replies from the following people:

David Quasar Bianco
Russ Nelson
tamboer
Richard L Impett
Russ Nelson
Keith L. Fries
jwbirdsa
ahodgson

Plus several people's net replies which you've probably seen if
you're reading this.

Everyone seemed to think the problem was in my mouse driver, which
is apparently outdated. I've listed a few responses below which add
more details / workarounds.

Thanks to all who replied!

From: David "Quasar" Bianco <bianco@xanth.cs.odu.edu>

From: tamboer@cs.vu.nl

From: Richard L Impett <impett@super.org>

>                                            Look in the front
>of the TC++ manuals- somewhere they state which version of the mouse
>driver you need for several varieties of mouse.

It's on page 3 of the "getting started" manual.
Just for reference:

Microsoft Mouse version 6.1 or later
Logitech Mouse version 3.4 or later
Mouse Systems PC Mouse version 6.22 or later (my problem)
IMSI mouse version 6.11 or later.

From: Keith L. Fries <fries@hpspkla.spk.hp.com>

From: jwbirdsa@amc.COM (James Birdsall)

>                                                          Turbo C++ (and the
>other mouseable releases: TD 2.0, TProf 1.0) are said to use a very recent
>driver call which saves and/or restores the mouse state or something like that.
>And they specifically warn in the docs that new mouse drivers may be needed.

Again, thanks for the help!

Derek Riippa Foster

shack@cs.arizona.edu (David Michael Shackelford) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.053512.7779@news.clarkson.edu> levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>         ....  But I still have the problem of no mouse support in TD.
>-Walden

Huh?  No mouse support in TD 2.0???  Mine works fine!  Or are you talking
about TD 1.0?  If you havent upgraded to TD2.0 and get the chance, I
recommend you go for it!  The profiler has helped me find a performance
problem which I had been chasing for months, and the new debugger is
improved also.  The mouse interface is great!

Dave     | shack@cs.arizona.edu

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (10/05/90)

The poop I've heard is that the mouse disappearing act is due to obsolete
Microsoft mouse drivers, not the Turbo C++ package (well, indirectly in
that they are only supporting the newer driver.)  I have to live with the
problem since I am using a vintage Mouse Systems PC Mouse.  There is a way
out, fortunately: Go to the left-hand-most menu and select "repaint desktop".
Et Voila.. a mouse cursor.  Incidently, what are the other bugs?  I haven't
hit them yet, apparantly.

-Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (10/06/90)

In article <442@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> shack@cs.arizona.edu (David Michael Shackelford) writes:
>In article <1990Oct4.053512.7779@news.clarkson.edu> levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>>         ....  But I still have the problem of no mouse support in TD.
>>-Walden
>

>Huh?  No mouse support in TD 2.0???  Mine works fine!  Or are you talking
>about TD 1.0?  If you havent upgraded to TD2.0 and get the chance, I

About mouse support.  Are you useing an ANSI driver called 'NNANSI.SYS'?

I was and whenever I entered TD I lost my mouse, but the mouse came back
when I exited from TD.  I found out that TD 2.0 and NNANSI.SYS (don't remember
the version numer) are not compatible.
This happen if NNANSI.SYS is configured to 'fast-update-the-screen' by
moveing the starting address.  The author (toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com) does
know about that problem and I think that work is in progress to correct it.

The new TD v2.0 is great.  (And so are the new TC++, TPROF and TASM)

(Disclaimer: No, I don't get any money from Borland by advertising their
products (Borland, are you listening?)   :-)

--
I just learned a new curse: "You #$@! son of a SCROLLBAR!"

Internet:       einari@rhi.hi.is   | 'Just give me my command line and throw
UUCP: ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari   | the GUIs in the dust-bin!!!!!!!!!'