[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Good CGA emulation package needed for EGA Card

jharper@draco.unm.edu (JT) (09/28/90)

I hope I'm not asking this in vain. I'm looking for a CGA emulation package,
preferably Public Domain, that will work with a EGA card set in Monochrome
mode. Unfortunately, I can't afford a EGA monitor at the time so my Amber
monochrome monitor will have to do. I've have heard of SIMCGA and HGCIBM
as posibilities. Unfortunately SIMCGA (version 4.0) will NOT work on an
EGA card period. I've used HGCIBM (version 2.02) which will work with my EGA
card but once HGCIBM is activated, it causes my 5 1/4" high density disk drive
to freak out on reading high density disks. I get a  "Error reading drive A"
message. Amazingly, 5 1/4" DD disks work fine.

Is there anything else available out there besides HGCIBM that will work with
an EGA card but not freak out high density disk drives? Unfortunately, a high
density drive is the only type of massive storage capacity I have at the
moment. I'd apreciate any help in finding something that will work. Thanks
in advance!!

				- Jeff

PS: If it matters, I have a Everex EGA card running on a 12 MHZ AT clone using
Phoenix 3.03 (???) Bios.

--
INTERNET: jharper@hydra.unm.edu
UUCP: ...!ariel!jharper

harper@convex.com (David Harper) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep28.145044.26732@ariel.unm.edu> jharper@draco.unm.edu (JT) writes:
>I hope I'm not asking this in vain. I'm looking for a CGA emulation package,
>preferably Public Domain, that will work with a EGA card set in Monochrome
>mode.

I don't know if these will work but they are some other emulation programs
that are available on SIMTEL:

PD1:MSDOS  SCREEN      CGA.ARC      CGA simulator for HERC (from New Zealand)
PD1:MSDOS  SCREEN      CGA10.ARC    Run CGA programs on Herc Monochrome systems
PD1:MSDOS  SCREEN      CS.ARC       Use CGA programs with Hercules card
PD1:MSDOS  SCREEN      HERCB21.ZIP  BIOS & CGA emulator for Hercules graphics card
PD1:MSDOS  SCREEN      HGCIB202.ARC Run CGA programs on Hercules card. v2.02

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (10/08/90)

In <106704@convex.convex.com> harper@convex.com (David Harper) writes:

>PD1:MSDOS  SCREEN      HGCIB202.ARC Run CGA programs on Hercules card. v2.02

I highly recommend this one, HCGIBM v2.02.

It's so good that it ran the copy-protected game Ultima without a hitch.
You'll love it.  I had no compatibility problems at all with any CGA
application I tried.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."