[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FSUUCP via email

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (10/02/90)

There have been numerous requests to send FSUUCP via email. This
cannot be done, as the uuencoded file is over 530K large, and our
local mailer has a limit of 64K. Chopping it up isn't an option, as
I have no place to save the uuencoded files, and would have to chop it
every time I get a request.

If there is someone out there who can take the zip file via FTP
and make available a uuencoded copy, please let me know, but
it's an impossibility here on polyslo.

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@fubarsys.slo.ca.us
---

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (10/02/90)

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) recently informed us:
>cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:
>>There have been numerous requests to send FSUUCP via email. This
>>cannot be done, as the uuencoded file is over 530K large, and our
>>local mailer has a limit of 64K. Chopping it up isn't an option, as
>>I have no place to save the uuencoded files, and would have to chop it
>>every time I get a request.
>
>FSUU11R5.ZIP is in directory pd2:<msdos2.uucp> on SIMTEL20.  It can be
>obtained via anonymous FTP or by email from one of the BITNET file
>servers which will send it uuencoded or xxencoded.
>
>Keith

Ahhh, Kieth, you're a god. :-)

--

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (10/02/90)

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:
>There have been numerous requests to send FSUUCP via email. This
>cannot be done, as the uuencoded file is over 530K large, and our
>local mailer has a limit of 64K. Chopping it up isn't an option, as
>I have no place to save the uuencoded files, and would have to chop it
>every time I get a request.

FSUU11R5.ZIP is in directory pd2:<msdos2.uucp> on SIMTEL20.  It can be
obtained via anonymous FTP or by email from one of the BITNET file
servers which will send it uuencoded or xxencoded.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)
Internet: w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu, w8sdz@brl.mil  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!vela.acs.oakland.edu!w8sdz

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (10/02/90)

In article <27078c54.23c4@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:
>There have been numerous requests to send FSUUCP via email. This
>cannot be done, as the uuencoded file is over 530K large, and our
>local mailer has a limit of 64K. Chopping it up isn't an option, as
>I have no place to save the uuencoded files, and would have to chop it
>every time I get a request.
>
>If there is someone out there who can take the zip file via FTP
>and make available a uuencoded copy, please let me know, but
>it's an impossibility here on polyslo.

You can try if you can get it using our new (testing stage)
mail server. Mail hv@chyde.uwasa.fi with Subject:
'chyde-request' and body 'send comm/fsuu11r5.zip'
and see what happens...

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
  P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/02/90)

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:

>If there is someone out there who can take the zip file via FTP
>and make available a uuencoded copy, please let me know, but
>it's an impossibility here on polyslo.

why not split it into multiple files?

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

bill@trace.gatech.edu (bill) (10/03/90)

In article <27078c54.23c4@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:
>If there is someone out there who can take the zip file via FTP
>and make available a uuencoded copy, please let me know, but
>it's an impossibility here on polyslo.

If someone needs a uunencoded copy mailed to them and they can't get it
elsewhere, I'll send it to them.  Just reply to this account.
Bill Berbenich                          | Visualize World Peace...
Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332    |
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill |  Good. Now wake up and
Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu         |  smell the coffee.

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (10/03/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) recently informed us:
>cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:
>
>>If there is someone out there who can take the zip file via FTP
>>and make available a uuencoded copy, please let me know, but
>>it's an impossibility here on polyslo.
>
>why not split it into multiple files?

Because our quotas here are incredibly small, and I could uuencode it
on /tmp to mail it out if the mailer would send it. If I uuencoded it in
multiple files, they would all go byebye as soon as /tmp was purged.

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@fubarsys.com
---
Ever get the feeling that there is someone out there who understands you
completely?

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (10/03/90)

In article <27078c54.23c4@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) writes:
:
:
:There have been numerous requests to send FSUUCP via email. This
:cannot be done, as the uuencoded file is over 530K large, and our
:local mailer has a limit of 64K. Chopping it up isn't an option, as
:I have no place to save the uuencoded files, and would have to chop it
:every time I get a request.
:
:If there is someone out there who can take the zip file via FTP
:and make available a uuencoded copy, please let me know, but
:it's an impossibility here on polyslo.
:
Put it in uunet or some other archive site and let people who
want it get it there via uucp.  Mailing 530K may not cost the
person on the receiving end much, but it can be expensive to the
sites in the middle.

I maintain archives on camco available in the Seattle area to all
members of the Seattle Unix Users Group via uucp and would be
happy to add fsuucp to the list.

Bill.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/11/90)

In article <189@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
   Put it in uunet or some other archive site and let people who want
   it get it there via uucp.  Mailing 530K may not cost the person on
   the receiving end much, but it can be expensive to the sites in the
   middle.

As with earlier FSUUCPs, version 1.1 release 5 is available via
anonymous UUCP from osu-cis!~/fsuucp/fsuu11r5.zip.  Write to
uucp@cis.ohio-state.edu for UUCPing instructions if you need them.
The file weighs in at 379,708 bytes, but they have a Trailblazer so it
shouldn't hurt that bad.

Sorry I wasn't very quick to see the r5 release announcement, pick it
up, and make it available, but it's there now.  I'm still digging out
from the pile that awaited my return to the office after the arrival
of our little boy (yawn :-)