[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Grammer checker for pc

davec@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( DAVE CHU ) (10/02/90)

Hi, does anyone konw of any program(s) that checks the grammer of a
document.  It should be compatible with most word processing
pakages such as Word Perfect, Chi Writer, or Word Star.  Any
help, info or suggestion would be appreciated.

Dave
davec@maxwell.concordia.ca
davec@davinci.concordia.ca

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (10/03/90)

RE: Grammer checker

Gram-mat-tik I believe is the correct spelling.  Right Writer is the other one
that I know of.  I don't have any other information on them but you should be
able to find them with the names.

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (10/03/90)

What about Grammatik IV by Reference Software? It handles lots of WP formats
and includes spelling and grammar checks.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/04/90)

In article <15763@shlump.nac.dec.com> reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>What about Grammatik IV by Reference Software? It handles lots of WP formats
>and includes spelling and grammar checks.

As far as I know Grammatik IV is fully commercial, and thus not
available by binary postings, ftp, mail servers, nor from any
selfrespecting BBS, and hence it is outside the customary scope of
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.  (It is a very useful program, but that is
already a different story).

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) (10/10/90)

 DAVE CHU  <davec@maxwell.Concordia.CA> writes in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d:

> Hi, does anyone konw of any program(s) that checks the grammer of a
                                                         ^^^^^^^
While you are at it, you might look for a spelling checker.  The word is
grammar.    :-)
     ^

Regards,

Dave K.

By the way, Grammatik is worth every penny you pay for it.

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (10/10/90)

In article <2210020@hpausla.aso.hp.com>, dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) writes:

> DAVE CHU  <davec@maxwell.Concordia.CA> writes in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d:
>
>> Hi, does anyone konw of any program(s) that checks the grammer of a
>                                                         ^^^^^^^
                   ^^^^
>While you are at it, you might look for a spelling checker.  The word is
>grammar.    :-)
>     ^
>
>Regards,
>
>Dave K.
>
>By the way, Grammatik is worth every penny you pay for it.

You forgot one, Dave... :-)

Carl

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (10/11/90)

In article <2210020@hpausla.aso.hp.com> dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) writes:

>By the way, Grammatik is worth every penny you pay for it.

RightWriter just sent me an upgrade notice that included several tables
from two studies.  The studies rated the several grammar checkers available for
the PC and MAC based on the number of *incorrect* grammar recommendations.
RightWriter averaged  13%, the nearest competitor was about 35% and
the worst was 85%.  I don't know if this is really useful information nor
do I know what the original studies concluded about RightWriter, but I sent
for the upgrade.

Standard disclaimers apply.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force