[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Serial Port Flow Control ????

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (10/10/90)

Help!

I'm helping a friend set up his PC. He's got an old LaserJet with
serial interface only. He's got program that only print to the
parallel port.

We did the:

mode com1:96,n,8,1
mode lpt1:=com1:

or whatever and we DO get output. But of course, when the LJ goes to
print a page, it wants the data flow to pause. The BIOS serial port
software doesn't handle software handshaking at all. Does anyone have a TSR
to performs the ^S/^Q handshaking transparently over the serial port?

I checked simtel and there is "FLOW.ASM" but I don't have an assembler.

Thanks,

Mat

--
W Mat Waites              |  Unlike most of you, I am not a nut.
{gatech,emory}!emcard!mat |             -H. Simpson

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (10/10/90)

In article <8214@emcard.UUCP> mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:

>Help!
   [DELETIONS]
>software doesn't handle software handshaking at all. Does anyone have a TSR
>to performs the ^S/^Q handshaking transparently over the serial port?
>
>I checked simtel and there is "FLOW.ASM" but I don't have an assembler.

	Don't be without an assembler. There is a nice, serviceable
Public Domain one. Go back to Simtel and get:

	PD1:<MSDOS.ASMUTL>ARROWASM.ARC

This is Arrowsoft's MASM 3.0-compatible Public Domain offering, for
which, many thanks and all Glory...

	-Peace

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (10/12/90)

In article <8214@emcard.UUCP> mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) writes:

>mode com1:96,n,8,1

Shouldn't this be 'mode com1:96,n,8,1,p' anyway?

>mode lpt1:=com1:
>
>or whatever and we DO get output. But of course, when the LJ goes to
>print a page, it wants the data flow to pause. The BIOS serial port
>software doesn't handle software handshaking at all. Does anyone have a TSR
>to performs the ^S/^Q handshaking transparently over the serial port?

If the LJ does hardware handshaking (I thought it did!), with the ,p parameter
on the mode line you won't need Xon/Xoff.  I've set up a couple of printers this
way.

>I checked simtel and there is "FLOW.ASM" but I don't have an assembler.
Try A86 Shareware Assembler.  Its not bad, but only does .COM files.

--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (10/12/90)

>I checked simtel and there is "FLOW.ASM" but I don't have an assembler.

Did you check this program?  It includes the executable.

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
XONXOFF3.ZIP  B    2339  900711  XON/XOFF interrupt-driven serial printer drvr

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)