[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need help with ASMGEN

jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) (10/15/90)

I'm trying to use ASMGEN v2.01, and I consistently get an error message
complaining about bad hex syntax in my .SEQ file.  There are no bad
numbers in it -- I even get this message for the one line .SEQ file

	"0 /H"

.  Anyone know what's going on?  Is this a bug corrected by a later
version (2.01 is what's currently on simtel)?  Or is there something
more subtle that I've missed?  Any suggestions appreciated.

-jeff-

In article <1990Oct15.124359.13795@world.std.com> jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) writes:

   I'm trying to use ASMGEN v2.01, and I consistently get an error message
   complaining about bad hex syntax in my .SEQ file.

ASMGEN *requires* that its input files end in ^Z.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (10/15/90)

In an article jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) wrote:
>I'm trying to use ASMGEN v2.01, and I consistently get an error message
>complaining about bad hex syntax in my .SEQ file.  There are no bad
>numbers in it -- I even get this message for the one line .SEQ file
>
>	"0 /H"
>
>.  Anyone know what's going on?  Is this a bug corrected by a later
>version (2.01 is what's currently on simtel)?  Or is there something
>more subtle that I've missed?  Any suggestions appreciated.

As I recall from the last time I used it, you must have a ^Z on the
line following the last line of the .seq file.   I wasted days fooling
around with it until I discovered this.

I was more persistent than I usually would be with software that is
this unfriendly.  Still, I can't complain, since I was trying to use it
to hack somebody else's secrets :^).

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.124359.13795@world.std.com>, jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) writes:
> I'm trying to use ASMGEN v2.01, and I consistently get an error message
> complaining about bad hex syntax in my .SEQ file.  There are no bad
> numbers in it -- I even get this message for the one line .SEQ file
>
> 	"0 /H"

It took me a long time to figure this one out (I think it was someone
on Usenet that set me on the right path).

The ASMGEN .SEQ file must end with a control-Z, the DOS end-of-file
character.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.