[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Graphics and MS Word 5.0 questions

fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/13/90)

I am using Microsoft Word 5.0 and am trying to import several types
of graphics into my documents.  These include encapsulated postscript
files from graphics and drawing programs, and spreadsheet graphs from
Quattro Pro.

I am also printing to a file on disk rather than directly to my laser
printer, which is a DEC LN03R.  I do this because the LN03R is hanging
off my microVAX, and I run PCSA to allow printing from the PC, by using
the "net print file.ext port" command.

The two problems are as follows.  First, when I use the Library Link
Graphics command in MS Word, I get the typical response and a line in
the document describing the imported graphic.  When I print this to
disk using the Print File command, no error messages occur.  When I print
the document, the proper size space is in the proper place, but no
graphic is printed.  Any comments or suggestions?  The second has to do
with graphs from Quattro Pro.  There is no direct interface between
QP and Word, yet QP will save information in 1-2-3 format or HPGL, and
Word reads both (I believe).  Yet I cannot seem to get Word to import
the graphic from QP.  Any comments or suggestions here?

Thanks.  Post answers or send them directly to me.

Doug Smith
Department of Chemistry
University of Toledo
FAX0236@UOFT02.BITNET or FAX0236@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct13.000529.1882@uoft02.utoledo.edu> fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
* I am using Microsoft Word 5.0 and am trying to import several types
* of graphics into my documents.  These include encapsulated postscript
* ...
*
* I am also printing to a file on disk rather than directly to my laser
* ...
*
* The two problems are as follows.  First, when I use the Library Link
* Graphics command in MS Word, I get the typical response and a line in
* the document describing the imported graphic.  When I print this to
* disk using the Print File command, no error messages occur.  When I print
* the document, the proper size space is in the proper place, but no
* graphic is printed.  Any comments or suggestions?
-----
First:  Is the graphic being written to the print-file?  If you are
really getting no error messages, then this should be OK.
-----
Second:  Is MSWORD properly positioning the PostScript next-place-to-print
and correctly setting the PostScript current-apparent-page-origin?  PROBABLY
NOT.  MSWORD 5 does _not_ properly handle _most_ plain-PostScript and
encapsulated-PostScript files in this respect.
--
Microsoft denies any problem, but it's there and it is a PAIN.  Every
PostScript file, plain or encapsulated, assumes that there is an "origin"
---- Sorry, can't help here.
--
----------------------------
anyhow, happy hacking

fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct13.000529.1882@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
> I am using Microsoft Word 5.0 and am trying to import several types
> of graphics into my documents.  These include encapsulated postscript
> files from graphics and drawing programs, and spreadsheet graphs from
> Quattro Pro.
>
> I am also printing to a file on disk rather than directly to my laser
> printer, which is a DEC LN03R.  I do this because the LN03R is hanging
> off my microVAX, and I run PCSA to allow printing from the PC, by using
> the "net print file.ext port" command.
>
> The two problems are as follows.  First, when I use the Library Link
> Graphics command in MS Word, I get the typical response and a line in
> the document describing the imported graphic.  When I print this to
> disk using the Print File command, no error messages occur.  When I print
> the document, the proper size space is in the proper place, but no
> graphic is printed.  Any comments or suggestions?  The second has to do
> with graphs from Quattro Pro.  There is no direct interface between
> QP and Word, yet QP will save information in 1-2-3 format or HPGL, and
> Word reads both (I believe).  Yet I cannot seem to get Word to import
> the graphic from QP.  Any comments or suggestions here?
>
> Thanks.  Post answers or send them directly to me.
>
> Doug Smith
> Department of Chemistry
> University of Toledo
> FAX0236@UOFT02.BITNET or FAX0236@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU

Thanks to all the people who sent responses.  The answer to my first question
is that MS Word has to be set with Printer Option Draft mode OFF in order
for the graphics to print.

No one has yet come up with a satisfactory answer to my question about
importing Quattro graphics to MSW.

Doug Smith

fax0236@uoft02.utoledo.edu (10/17/90)

In article <1012@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>, kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:
> -----
> First:  Is the graphic being written to the print-file?  If you are
> really getting no error messages, then this should be OK.
> -----
> Second:  Is MSWORD properly positioning the PostScript next-place-to-print
> and correctly setting the PostScript current-apparent-page-origin?  PROBABLY
> NOT.  MSWORD 5 does _not_ properly handle _most_ plain-PostScript and
> encapsulated-PostScript files in this respect.
> --
> Microsoft denies any problem, but it's there and it is a PAIN.  Every
> PostScript file, plain or encapsulated, assumes that there is an "origin"
> setup/known/defaulted/builtin which is the lower-left corner of the
> available hardware drawing space.  MSWORD usually does _not_ manage to
> get the required info from the plotfile to put it into the printfile
> or printstream.  In fact, it's not clear that it _ever_ really does this.
> --
> So you have two alternatives:  either generate your plotfiles to put the
> graphic where you want it in spite of MSWORD;  or write an MSWORD macro or
> two to take the requested positioning info from the MSWORD document, and
> get the plotsetup info from the plotfile, and munge the two together, and
> put the required fixup into the plotfile (NOT the MSWORD file.)
> -----
> * The second has to do
> * with graphs from Quattro Pro.  There is no direct interface between
> * ...
> ---- Sorry, can't help here.
> --
> ----------------------------
> anyhow, happy hacking
> Ken

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have NEVER experienced the problem you
describe, and it is a trivial thing to position the graphic.  When you
import the graphic, don't just accept the position that MSW suggests;
use the F1 key to view the alternative dimensions and positioning, and
use the alternatives!  They are almost always better than the default.

I must also say that my graphics printing problem was not always a problem.
For quite a while everything worked as it should.  Then one day, the
graphics magically stopped appearing.  This is what happens when you
let a bunch of people (in this case, the graduate students in my research
group) use a common PC and a common program, but each one likes to use
his or her own settings and defaults.  Someone obviously changed the
PRINT OPTIONS DRAFT setting from no to yes, which is what caused the
problem.

Doug Smith