[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] backing up a PC harddisk via PC-NFS to a cartridge on a UNIX system

cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) (10/16/90)

Does anyone know of software, PD or otherwise, that will
enable a PC running PC-NFS to archive its hard disk as a tar file or
whatever to a 1/4" cartridge on a UNIX machine on the network?

This is so users of PCs can keep their own backup tapes without having
to "arc" or "lharc" their filesystems to a temporary area on the UNIX
machine and then "tar" this archive to the cartridge.

thanks in advance for any info,
gerry

--
gerry pratt  --  workstation support  --  university of keele
email:  gerry@seq1.keele.ac.uk   *   tel:  0782 621111 x 3290

andrew@dgbt.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick DGBT/DBR) (10/18/90)

In article <671@keele.keele.ac.uk> cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) writes:
>Does anyone know of software, PD or otherwise, that will
>enable a PC running PC-NFS to archive its hard disk as a tar file or
>whatever to a 1/4" cartridge on a UNIX machine on the network?

Yes.  Sun's own PC-NFS Lifeline product will do this for you.  PC-NFS
Lifeline runs on top of PC-NFS and provides mail and backup service for
PCs.  For backup, they provide "rput" and "rget" commands for
non-sophisticated users, and a "tar" for those who know what they are
doing.  We use the tar in combination with the "rsh" facility of PC-NFS
to backup PCs to 1/4" and 8mm tapes on a regular basis.  It works great
and most users are able to do it themselves.

Good luck

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
               andrew@dgbt.doc.CA    andrew@doccrc.BITNET