[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] multiplayer games

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/14/90)

I just downloaded Linewars, a multiplayer game that can be played over a modem.
I gave it to a friend and we loved fighting each other instead of a computer!

But alas, we have grown board of it and want something new to try!
Does anyone know of any other PD/shareware games that can be played over
the modem?  I have TREK28, but I can't see how anyone could play it with
so many different things to watch out for, and so many key combinations.
<Maybe its just me...But after doing school work all day, I want a game I
 can sit down and learn in a few minutes, and not have to read another 20
 page book before I can play!>

As for commercial games, I know about BattleChess, Populous, and Falcon AT.

Charles

umrose05@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dave Rose) (10/14/90)

Hey Charles,

I've played LineWars Too, great game, but you mentioned something about
TREK28?

Where can I get it?

Dave

--
Dave Rose                 : Local (UnixWS) - UMRose05@CCU.UManitoba.CA
P.O. Box 403              : Local (Amdahl) - #Rose05@CCM.UManitoba.CA

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct14.044632.17482@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>I just downloaded Linewars, a multiplayer game that can be played over a modem.

Where did you find it? It sounds interesting...

>But alas, we have grown board of it and want something new to try!
>Does anyone know of any other PD/shareware games that can be played over
>the modem?

There are bunches: GEMINI, GEMINI2, Worthy Opponent, a Maze War type game
played on an EGA...

If you like, perhaps we could trade some via email.

--
Scott Coleman                                             khan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Wanted: Specs on the edit control protocol for the Panasonic AG-1960 VCR. If
you have them or know where I may find them, PLEASE email me! Thanks!!

kleine@zeus.unomaha.edu (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct14.044632.17482@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
> I just downloaded Linewars, a multiplayer game that can be played over a modem.
> I gave it to a friend and we loved fighting each other instead of a computer!
>
> But alas, we have grown board of it and want something new to try!
> Does anyone know of any other PD/shareware games that can be played over
> the modem?  I have TREK28, but I can't see how anyone could play it with
> so many different things to watch out for, and so many key combinations.
> <Maybe its just me...But after doing school work all day, I want a game I
>  can sit down and learn in a few minutes, and not have to read another 20
>  page book before I can play!>
>
> As for commercial games, I know about BattleChess, Populous, and Falcon AT.
>
> Charles

"POPULOUS" by Electronic Arts is a fun modem game, but its NOT public domain.
Anyone interested in more info can send me mail.

Stephan G. Kleine		|	"Time is a luxury that I do not
[KLEINE]@zeus.unomaha.edu	| 		possess."      SGK
[FAUST]@orion.unomaha.edu	|
University of Nebraska-Omaha	|

cac@druco.ATT.COM (Curtis A. Conkey) (10/16/90)

in article <1990Oct14.044632.17482@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) says:
<
< I just downloaded Linewars, a multiplayer game that can be played over a modem.
< I gave it to a friend and we loved fighting each other instead of a computer!
<
< But alas, we have grown board of it and want something new to try!
< Does anyone know of any other PD/shareware games that can be played over
< the modem?  I have TREK28, but I can't see how anyone could play it with
< so many different things to watch out for, and so many key combinations.
< <Maybe its just me...But after doing school work all day, I want a game I
<  can sit down and learn in a few minutes, and not have to read another 20
<  page book before I can play!>
<
< As for commercial games, I know about BattleChess, Populous, and Falcon AT.
<
Another good one is 688 Attack Sub where two modem players can each command a
submarine in search of the other.

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (10/17/90)

Modem Wars is a golden oldie.  It is available from Electronic Arts
(cheap!).  It is basically a game of capture the flag, but the flag
moves where you send it.  Playing against the computer will get
discouraging very quickly, though, as it can implement move decisions
much more quickly and accurately than you can.

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)
Disclaimer:  Even I don't agree with myself!
Please send me mail before I die of confusion/loneliness.

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (10/17/90)

In article <Eb76nZq00VouMw4UoQ@andrew.cmu.edu> bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) writes:
>Modem Wars is a golden oldie.  It is available from Electronic Arts
>(cheap!).

I get the impression that the reason it's so cheap is because not too many
people are buying the game. I fear it might even be discontinued. :-(
It's a pretty good game (I bought my copy back when it was full price :-((

Other commercial modem games:

Tank (Spectrum Holobyte): A serious Abrams battle tank simulator with 2-player
via-modem capability.

Populous (I forgot who this is by, I don't have a copy of it).

Some chess game (Battlechess?), MS Flight Simulator, and at least one other
commercial game can be played via modem with two people.

Now all we need is a multi-player action game playable via the Internet (and
no, I don't mean the MUD games, I'm talking about action games with real-time
graphics, etc.) Those of you with Silicon Graphics Irises might have a game
called Arena which is a two-player robot battle played via Ethernet. Each player
controls a large robot which can roll, jump, and wield various weapons. The
battlefield is a square arena with high walls and completely flat terain. In
the center of the arena is a maze with a roof on it (i.e. when you're inside
the maze building, your robot can't just jump out, it has to FIND the way out).

Anyone interested in porting it to the IBM? ;-)

--
Scott Coleman                                             khan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

yiannis@seahorse.ecn.purdue.edu (Yiannis E Papelis) (10/18/90)

One of our favorite here has been xtank, it needs x to run and will run
on a network.  Each player controls a tank (which the player can actually
build) and can fight against an officemate sitting across the hall and/or
computer controled tanks.

It is GREAT.
give it a try..

(I think the game is available through anon. ftp on the mit ftp sites, can't recall
the exact location though)

Yiannis E. Papelis
yiannis@eng.uiowa.edu

brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) (10/19/90)

Well, there is Tracon II.  It is an air-traffic control game that now has
the capability that when using the proper hardware to interface with up to
16 computers running MS Flight Simulator and do real-time air traffic
control.  One person runs the Tracon game and up to 16 others play Flight
simulator.  People are able to see other planes in the air around them,
receive air traffic control messages, and send messages to the "tower".
The full system is somehwat expensive though.

Lance Brown