[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: vi clone for DOS

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (10/18/90)

Hi Netters,

What's a better place to ask then in this news group.  Does anyone
know where I can my hands on a UNIX vi editor clone/workalike for
MS-DOS environment???

Please response by email.  If you know of a ftp site, please let me
know the internet number.  My administration didn't implement
domain name yet.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (10/19/90)

In article <27971@bellcore.bellcore.com> I wrote:
>Hi Netters,
>
>What's a better place to ask then in this news group.  Does anyone
>know where I can my hands on a UNIX vi editor clone/workalike for
>MS-DOS environment???
>
>Please response by email.  If you know of a ftp site, please let me
>know the internet number.  My administration didn't implement
>domain name yet.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Paul

All you gracious netters have flooded my mail box with responses.
I was amazed at the speed of the replies.  Some of you sented binaries,
tips, and helpful comments on the same day as my post.

I now have 3 vi clones to choose from, Stevie (majority's favorite),
Elvis, and vi.  I just have one question - Why are two of them called
Stevie and Elvis (????) ?  What's the relationship of the editors and
their names?

Paul

P.S. - Since over 30 responses are on these 3 editors, I like to inform
the Net that no further replies are necessary.  Thanks a million, you're
a good group.

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (10/21/90)

In article <28019@bellcore.bellcore.com> louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes:
>In article <27971@bellcore.bellcore.com> I wrote:
>>Hi Netters,
>>
>>What's a better place to ask then in this news group.  Does anyone
>>know where I can my hands on a UNIX vi editor clone/workalike for
>>MS-DOS environment???

	[DELETIONS]
>I now have 3 vi clones to choose from, Stevie (majority's favorite),
>Elvis, and vi.  I just have one question - Why are two of them called
>Stevie and Elvis (????) ?  What's the relationship of the editors and
>their names?

	STEVIE = ST Editor for VI Enthusiasts
according to the first page of its documentation. It evidently was first
written for the (gasp!) Atari ST.

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|