[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] QVT 4.45, Windows 3.0 and COM3

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (10/23/90)

Hi,

I just installed Windows 3.0 and downloaded the latest shareware version of
QVT for Windows.  I can not get it to work with my modem on COM3.  I have
set up the port addresses in SYSTEM.INI.  I can use Procomm+ and QVT
(non-windows version) with COM3 just fine.  The apparent problem with WinQVT
is that it doesn't respond to the IRQ4 interrupt.  It can dial up the modem,
but it doesn't get anything back.

Has anyone had any success in getting this to work?

thanks...jim

p.s. System is Northgate "slimline" 386/20 with 4MB RAM and Super-VGA.

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

efrethei@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Erik J. Fretheim) (10/23/90)

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>I just installed Windows 3.0 and downloaded the latest shareware version of
>QVT for Windows.  I can not get it to work with my modem on COM3.  I have
>set up the port addresses in SYSTEM.INI.  I can use Procomm+ and QVT
>(non-windows version) with COM3 just fine.  The apparent problem with WinQVT
>is that it doesn't respond to the IRQ4 interrupt.  It can dial up the modem,
>but it doesn't get anything back.

The problem appears to be one with windows.  I had very simular problems.  I
could use my modem just fine on com4 as long as I didn't run windows in the
enhanced mode.  Once in enhanced mode it wouldn't recognize the interupts.
All of the active ports were installed in DOS.  I checked everything and
everything seemed fine.  Then I tried one of these check out routines
and suddenly I discovered windows said I had ports 1,2,and 3 active, not
1, 2 and 4.  The problem appears to be that windows will go out and check
the ports and assign the first active one to com1, the second to com2 and
the third to com3.  Unfortunately, if you don't happen to have everything
right together starting with com1, winndows will claim you do anyway.  The
only solutions I could come up with is to either a) buy some new serial
device for the unused com, or b) move all of your hardware to sequential
ports, or c) wait until windows recovers from its brain death.  None of which
are really acceptable, but one of which we can maybe live with.

ejf

Erik J Fretheim
efrethei@afit.af.mil			AFIT/ENA Box 4151 (ATTN: CPT FRETHEIM)
(513)255-5276 AVN785-5276 		WPAFB, OH 45431  USA