[net.followup] AAAI-86 looking for Student Volunteers

msitd22@ms3.UUCP (Jim Chappell) (05/13/86)

In article <829@k.cs.cmu.edu>, dandb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) writes:

>    ANNOUNCEMENT:  Student Volunteers Needed for AAAI-86
>
>            Date:  April 22, 1986
>            From:  AAAI Staff, AAAI, Menlo Park, CA
>
> AAAI-86 will be held August 10-15, 1986, in Philadelphia, PA.

And then goes on to mention AAAI several times without ever letting
us know what he's talking about.  If you're posting to net general, think
about your audience.

--
Jim Chappell  ...!seismo!vrdxhq!ms3!jrc
ISN Corp.

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (Bill Bulko) (05/14/86)

[  The postman hits!  --More-- ]
[  You have new mail.          ]

In article <394@ms3.UUCP> msitd22@ms3.UUCP (Jim Chappell) writes:
>In article <829@k.cs.cmu.edu>, dandb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine) writes:
>>
>>    ANNOUNCEMENT:  Student Volunteers Needed for AAAI-86
>>            Date:  April 22, 1986
>>            From:  AAAI Staff, AAAI, Menlo Park, CA
>> AAAI-86 will be held August 10-15, 1986, in Philadelphia, PA.
>
>And then goes on to mention AAAI several times without ever letting
>us know what he's talking about.  If you're posting to net general, think
>about your audience.

I'm not sure how to respond to Jim's comment, although I feel a response is
called for.  I think Dean Rubine WAS thinking about his audience when he posted
the article.  Considering the type of people who make up this network, I think
Rubine was right in assuming that most of us knew what AAAI stood for.  (If you
don't, you probably wouldn't be interested in his announcement anyway!)  Even
so, it doesn't take much to guess what the "AI" part stands for.  [Pipe all
sarcastic replies to net.jokes.]
     Incidentally, why pick on "AAAI"?  Why not ask what the "CA" and the "PA"
stand for in the announcement as well?  :-)  Sorry, Jim -- I don't mean to be
sarcastic -- it's just that a LOT of acronyms fly by on the net. . .

	  "In the knowledge lies the power." -- Edward A. Feigenbaum
		       "Knowledge is good." -- Emil Faber
Bill Bulko						The University of Texas
bulko@sally.UTEXAS.EDU				Department of Computer Sciences