[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] VIRUSCAN Trivia

cmcdonal@WSMR-EMH03.ARMY.MIL (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-RA) (10/17/90)

I mentioned in a recent message the modification to VSHIELD.  Users of
VIRUSCAN should also consult the scanv67.doc file which discusses the /X
option.  Unless you use that option, Version 67 does not automatically
scan for over a dozen viruses labelled "extinct" in John McAfee's latest
release.

While I have no specific quarrel over the definition of "extinct", the small
amount of time needed to scan for these additional viruses would seem to be
a small processing price.  Another approach might have been to permit a
"/X option" which would have allowed a user to consciously omit these viruses.
Instead, the default is to enforce the omission.

The /X option is equally applicable to VSHIELD.

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (10/26/90)

cmcdonal@WSMR-EMH03.ARMY.MIL (Chris McDonald  ASQNC-TWS-RA) writes:
[...]
>While I have no specific quarrel over the definition of "extinct", the small
>amount of time needed to scan for these additional viruses would seem to be
>a small processing price.  Another approach might have been to permit a
>"/X option" which would have allowed a user to consciously omit these viruses.
>Instead, the default is to enforce the omission.

Right you are; especially if you consider "sub"-usage of SCAN e.g. by SHEZ.
You have no possibility to tell SHEZ, to use /X when calling SCAN.

The same is true for the fact, that SCAN knows which files to look at. And you
cannot tell SHEZ which files have to be unpacked when using the <ALT>Z option
to SCAN an archive. In this case the fault is in SHEZ.

--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)