[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] French spelling checker?

grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Number 6) (10/27/90)

Howdy all,

Does anyone know of a french spelling checker for MS-DOS machines?

Thanks a bunch,
|  Greg Anderson  |   hpcuhd!grega      |      grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM           |
| "It isn't necessary to be rich and famous to be happy.  It's only          |
|  necessary to be rich." -- Alan Alda                                       |

pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Francois Pinard) (10/27/90)

In article <106000001@hpcuhd.HP.COM> grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Number 6) writes:

   Does anyone know of a french spelling checker for MS-DOS machines?

`Hugo' is a French spelling and grammar checker which has quite good
reputation, and which is a best-seller in these times, so I've heard.
I have found the reference for you:

	Logidisque Inc.
	1225 de Conde
	Montreal (Qc)
	Canada H3K 2E4

	(514)933-2225
--
Franc,ois Pinard          ``Vivement GNU!''         pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
(514) 588-4656    cp 886 L'Epiphanie (Qc) J0K 1J0    ...!uunet!iros1!pinard

userDHAL@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (David Halliwell) (10/28/90)

In article <106000001@hpcuhd.HP.COM>, grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Number 6) writes:
>Howdy all,
>
>Does anyone know of a french spelling checker for MS-DOS machines?
>
>Thanks a bunch,

.   Up here in Canada it seems to be fairly standard that WordPerfect is
available with a french dictionary. They also provide a number of
other dictionaries (on request/payment) for either specialty needs in
English or other "foreign" languages.

.   At the University of Alberta, our site licence includes a copy of the
french dictionary, as well as the UK one (rather than the US one).

.    or am I misunderstanding, and you actually want the program to
run in french?

Dave Halliwell

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (10/29/90)

In article <1752@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userDHAL@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (David Halliwell) writes:
>In article <106000001@hpcuhd.HP.COM>, grega@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Number 6) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a french spelling checker for MS-DOS machines?
>
>.   Up here in Canada it seems to be fairly standard that WordPerfect is
>available with a french dictionary.

Yup...  You can get many of the major word processing packages with
French dictionaries.  We use a French version of Word for Windows at
the office (it's fairly new & I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really
comment on how good a job it does -- I suspect it doesn't a too great
a job since in French the spelling mistakes tend to be contextual
(as it "la maison de ces dames que j'ai repainte" where "repainte"
is spelt that way because "que" stands for "maison" (and not "dames")
which is "feminin singulier"!).

I suggest you contact Microsoft (maybe in Canada if they don't know what
you're talking about at the local branch :-) or some other such company.--
 Denis Fortin                             | fortin@zap.uucp
  DMR Group Inc.                          |  uunet!sobeco!zap!fortin
  The opinions expressed above are my own |  fortin%zap@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) (10/29/90)

In article <3248@zap.UUCP> fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:
>French dictionaries.  We use a French version of Word for Windows at
>the office (it's fairly new & I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really
>comment on how good a job it does -- I suspect it doesn't a too great
>a job since in French the spelling mistakes tend to be contextual
>(as it "la maison de ces dames que j'ai repainte" where "repainte"
                                         ^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^
>is spelt that way because "que" stands for "maison" (and not "dames")
>which is "feminin singulier"!).

Talking of spelling checkers, I make that "repeinte", though I have been
known to be wrong about spelling in the past (:-).

I have always found it very difficult to get different spelling checkers
from Microsoft, I get refered to MS France, where they assure you all
sales in UK are handles by UK offices.  It seems to me they should be
able to sell multi-lingual copies of Word dictionaries in Europe, where
you get English, French, German, Italian, etc.... (do they have Gaellic
versions?) in one go.
 Olly Morgan  **** Tel: (+44 31) 662 4395  **** E.Mail: O.Morgan@ed.ac.uk
 Scottish Agricultural College.             Edinburgh EH9 2HH,   Scotland