[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Zoo and files like 0e051642

fireman@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu (10/28/90)

                    Files like 0e051e42 and 16050509?

When I use zoo for backing up my hard disk, I always get two files
included which start with a digit and sometimes contain hex letters
as well.  Can someone tell me what these are and if there is any way
to prevent putting these files in the archive?

I'm using a batch file to do the backup for me and when I come out of it,
the files are no longer around (although you can see them with Norton
Utilities).  Does DOS create these temporarily?

Thanks in advance,

Neil Feiereisel         e-mail: fireman@uiuc.edu OR fireman@cs.uiuc.edu

fireman@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu (10/29/90)

Actually, I should be asking, is there an easier way than the way I'm doing
it now as in my batch file below:

stuff / -modified ! -name *.bak ! -name temp.* | zoo aIunP diffback
zoo -delete diffback 0-9

I'd like to be able to avoid including numbered files in the archive in the
first place but it appears stuff won't allow the 0-9 to represent "all files
starting with any of the digits 0 through 9".  My only alternative is to
include "! -name 0* ! -name 1* ... !-name 9*" in the stuff part, but that
will really slow things down if every file needs to be compared against all
of those.

Oh well, perhaps I should suggest to the author that he include the 0-9
capability in stuff.

Neil

spcoltri@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Steven P Coltrin) (10/29/90)

fireman@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>                    Files like 0e051e42 and 16050509?

>I'm using a batch file to do the backup for me and when I come out of it,
>the files are no longer around (although you can see them with Norton
>Utilities).  Does DOS create these temporarily?

     Yep.  Whenever you use piping or redirection, DOS puts a pair of weird-
named temp files in the root directory during the task, then cleans them up
after.  I didn't know, though, that they had enough physical existence to show
on a deleted-file basis... something new every Turn.

--
spcoltri@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
"The food got better.  Someone must have died."

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (10/31/90)

In article <21700015@sunc7>, fireman@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

[ avoiding to store the temporary pipe-files in an archive ]

> Actually, I should be asking, is there an easier way than the way I'm doing
> it now as in my batch file below:
>
> stuff / -modified ! -name *.bak ! -name temp.* | zoo aIunP diffback
> zoo -delete diffback 0-9

You know, of course, that DOS' implementation of pipes involves temporary
files (those that you would like to delete).   It is really sad that DOS
doesn't recognize something like `SET TMP=D:\' to store it's tmp-files there.
Anyway, since these files are created and deleted, you might as well do it
``manually'':

stuff / -modified ! -name *.bak ! -name *.tmp [...] > %TMP%_stuff_.tmp
zoo aIunP diffback < %TMP%_stuff_.tmp
del %TMP%_stuff_.tmp

Alternatively, you can run your batch from another directory, as in:

cd \tmp
stuff \yourdir -modified [...] | zoo aIunP \yourdir\diffback

Hope this helps

Markus Fischer, Dpt. of Anthropology, Geneva

clh@seer.UUCP (Chris Hatch) (10/31/90)

In article <21700015@sunc7> fireman@sunc7.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Actually, I should be asking, is there an easier way than the way I'm doing
>it now as in my batch file below:
>
>stuff / -modified ! -name *.bak ! -name temp.* | zoo aIunP diffback
>zoo -delete diffback 0-9

Well, that explains where the files came from... When you do piping under
MS-DOS, it actually creates a temporary file with the piped information. I
don't see why you would get TWO files, though. Unless stuff creates it's
own temporary file?