[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] CSHOW

pasky@cg-atla.UUCP (Robert Pasky) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.080740.22569@lth.se> knut@tts.lth.se (Ake Knutsson) writes:
>In the Simtel20 archives, directory
>pd1:<msdos.gif>, there are for instance CSHOW, VPIC, and VUIMG.

I just got the latest CSHOW from SIMTEL (CSHW821B.ZIP) and it seems
to have an annoying problem. Every time I run the program it displays
a message saying that it can't find the README.EXE/*.DOC files, etc.
and just sits there for 15 seconds. I unzipped the whole thing as
received from SIMTEL and the "missing" files are right there in same
(current) directory with the program (e:\gif if it matters). I even
tried putting them all in a directory specified in my PATH with the
same results.

I didn't see anything, nor does the message imply, that registration
is required to remove this delay. Is it just me or has anyone else
experienced this?

-- Bob
\\\\\\\Bob Pasky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 \\  Agfa Compugraphic, 200 Ballardvale Rd., Wilmington, MA 01887     \\
  \\  pasky@cg-atla.agfa.com  -= or =- ...!uunet!samsung!cg-atla!pasky \\
   \>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle) (10/31/90)

I too had the problem with CSHOW not finding the extra *.exe files.
I did start off with only extracting CSHOW.EXE, but after it gave me
that error, I went ahead and unzipped the whole file.  It hasn't given
me that response since.  In just now quickly checking my directory, it
seems that cshow created a file called CSHOW.DAT.  Have you run cshow
since it originally gave you that message?  It might have also needed
that .dat file.

Happy viewing.

--
     Mike Castle       | Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly and be
        Nexus          | right all the time, or not work at all and be right

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/31/90)

In article <9191@cg-atla.UUCP> pasky@cg-atla.UUCP (Robert Pasky) writes:
   I just got the latest CSHOW from SIMTEL (CSHW821B.ZIP) and it seems
   to have an annoying problem. Every time I run the program it displays
   a message saying that it can't find the README.EXE/*.DOC files, etc.
   and just sits there for 15 seconds. I unzipped the whole thing as
   received from SIMTEL and the "missing" files are right there in same
   (current) directory with the program (e:\gif if it matters). I even
   tried putting them all in a directory specified in my PATH with the
   same results.

For some funny reason, Canyon State Systems has decided that the program should
check for presence of ALL the documentation etc. files in the same directory as
the original, every time it is started.  This means that you cannot delete the
document files once you have read them etc.

Then they goofed.  The "full" version comes with README.EXE, which will self-
extract necessary documents on request, plus the install program which will
generate the needed drivers.  The "lite" version comes only with some .doc
files and no drivers.  AND THEY FORGOT ABOUT THE TEST IN CSHOW.EXE !

#1 is truly annoying for us with never enough disk space, #2 is unacceptable
for a shareware product.  I've switched to vpic.  Too bad.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

jjj@batgirl.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) (10/31/90)

In article <OTTO.90Oct30190637@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>for a shareware product.  I've switched to vpic.  Too bad.

Which has a truly annoying bug: it halts when there are too many gif files
in the same directory... og course you can do 'vpic a*' but I consider that
pretty awkward.

And vpic cannot do horizontal scrolling??

--
jjj@niksula.hut.fi
jjj@otax.tky.hut.fi

fire me, fire					until you die

sunyat@pawl.rpi.edu (Eric Hsiao) (10/31/90)

Anyone know of any patches through debug or Norton Disk Edit that can disable
this very annoying problem?  Can't be too hard to do..but I'm not an ASM whiz.
                          Eric

--
| Internet: Eric_Hsiao@MTS.RPI.EDU > Read GIF News - a freely copied news  < |
|           sunyat@PAWL.RPI.EDU    > magazine in .GIF file format.  Color  < |

vgopal@cbnewsc.att.com (venu.p.gopal) (11/01/90)

This is somewhat unrelated, but the latest version of VUIMAGE (version
2.70) now supports GIF89a.  If there is sufficient interest, I'll send
off a copy to c.b.i.pc and to SIMTEL.

Venu P. Gopal   UUCP: ..!att!cbnewsc!vgopal   Internet: vgopal@cbnewsc.att.com

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (11/01/90)

>>> jjj@batgirl.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) said:

>>> In article <OTTO.90Oct30190637@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>>for a shareware product.  I've switched to vpic.  Too bad.

> Which has a truly annoying bug: it halts when there are too many gif files
> in the same directory... og course you can do 'vpic a*' but I consider that
> pretty awkward.

> And vpic cannot do horizontal scrolling??

  Also, one of it's main attractions, file conversion, seems to be
incomplete. I once wanted to convert an SVGA 1024x768 gif into a PCX file
for editing and I got a file that was a little bigger than 800x600 that was
cropped. It seems that VPIC will only convert whatever is in memory and not
the whole file if the picture is too big.

  I had an older version, 2.7. Does anyone know if this has been fixed in a
later release???

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu