[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Trojan Warning: SCANV70

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (11/01/90)

I received the following via the DESQview echo on Fidonet.

	Ralf

From: Don Reid
To: All
Subject: TROJAN WARNING
Date: 28 Oct 90 15:37:00

I am passing the following message on for your consideration.
Date: 10-22-90 (10:10)           Number: 10260            Patriquin's BB
  To: ALL                        Refer#: NONE
From: KIM MARTIN                   Read: YES
Subj: NEW TROJAN DETECTED !!       Conf: (0) Main Board

Dear Telecommunicators,

I recently received a file called SCANV70.ZIP on The Library! BBS. This
file contains a trojan that is not detectable by the current version
of McAffees Scan program (SCANV67C.ZIP). This trojan will take out your
entire file system. I verified with McAffees bulletin board that the
most current scan was SCANV67C.ZIP. The next available release will not
be out until mid-november according to his board. I also, verified that
SCANV70.ZIP contained a trojan and that he is aware of it. Please
avoid using SCANV70 or passing it around as there is no defense for it.
The file was uploaded under a false logon. I've talked to the person
whose name it was uploaded in and he swears it wasn't him. (People,
please change your passwords and make them unique by bbs.)

Sincerely,

Kim Martin, The Library! BBS

---
 * Origin: Recovery BBS - San Francisco - (415) 255-2188 *HST* (1:125/9)