[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Directory Freedom 3.50a

rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.a.beck) (11/01/90)

A quick word about Directory Freedom Ver 3.50a, by Gordon Haff. It is in
Simtel20, under pd1:<msdos.dirutl> as df350a.zip. It is stated as
"best hack of PC Mag's DR, CO, RN".

First off, it is good. I have been checking many hacks and trying to see
which I prefer.

The bug. The <alt F4>, which is a refresh of the current directory or disk
is a neat move, only I have found if you do that on blank disks in the
A drive, it bombs out and exits with a "divide overflow". I found this
while checking some unmarked floppies. It does not fail with a "<F9> a:"
sequence (change dir).

Not a big problem, but I thought netland and the author might want to know.

Keep up the good work, Gordon.

Ron
--
Ron Beck
AT&T		Voice:404-870-5679

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) (11/02/90)

rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.a.beck) writes:

>A quick word about Directory Freedom Ver 3.50a, by Gordon Haff. It is in
>Simtel20, under pd1:<msdos.dirutl> as df350a.zip. It is stated as
>"best hack of PC Mag's DR, CO, RN".

I use DR, and tried DF on that same recommendation.

>First off, it is good. I have been checking many hacks and trying to see
>which I prefer.

It's terrible.

I loaded it up, ran it, and my machine crashed.  Seems I didn't have
somebody-or-other's list program on board.  I found some fix mentioned
in the documentation, tried again... OK.  Let's view a file.. Pg Dn..
It seems the screen is 25 lines long, but this prog drops 26 on random
but common occasions.  I.e. you miss a line in the view.

I can put up with limitations or _obscure_ bugs, but to me, it seemed
that the whole thing was poorly tested and hurriedly cobbled together.
I did without.
--
Regards,

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.usq.edu.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)

rlp@drutx.ATT.COM (Bob Prehn (@ The Right Choice)) (11/02/90)

In article <s64421.657550350@zeus>, s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) writes:
> rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.a.beck) writes:
>
> >A quick word about Directory Freedom Ver 3.50a, by Gordon Haff. It is in
> >Simtel20, under pd1:<msdos.dirutl> as df350a.zip. It is stated as
> >"best hack of PC Mag's DR, CO, RN".
>
> I use DR, and tried DF on that same recommendation.
>
> >First off, it is good. I have been checking many hacks and trying to see
> >which I prefer.
>
> It's terrible.
>
> I loaded it up, ran it, and my machine crashed.  Seems I didn't have
> somebody-or-other's list program on board.  I found some fix mentioned
> in the documentation, tried again... OK.  Let's view a file.. Pg Dn..
> It seems the screen is 25 lines long, but this prog drops 26 on random
> but common occasions.  I.e. you miss a line in the view.

Try directory scanner version 4.00a.
It is a $15 shareware gem I've used for a couple years.
It supports split screen viewing of 2 drives/directories.
You can do all of the file management stuff (i.e. copy, rename, delete, move,
attribues, print, etc) as well as edit/view.  It allows you to
execute a dos command or program with or without overlaying the DS program.
It also allows macro programming of the alt, shift and ctrl keys for use
when executing a command (e.g. programming @F7=pkunzip %f %R would unzip the
highligted file and require <RETURN> to be pressed before the DS screen is
redisplayed when <ALT F7> was pressed).

It is a powerfull program that has worked without flaw for me.
Until the program is registered, there is a slight delay before
reading drive directories.

The latest version is available on the following RBBS boards:
(805) 488-7430  (805) 983-4303   (805) 482-8030

Bob Prehn
(303) 538-4554

KOHLER@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (11/03/90)

The "best hack of RN, DR, CO" is DM/DIRMAGIC, written by the author of
RN, DR, & CO, namely Michael Mefford himself. It is available on SIMTEL20
in PD2:<MSDOS2.PCMAG> as DIRMAG2.ARC.