[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Anyone heard about Telix 4.00?

LONGSHOT@VAX1.MANKATO.MSUS.EDU (A deeper shade of soul) (11/03/90)

    Has anyone heard anything about a newer version 4.00 of the Telix telecom
program?  I use it a lot, so I'm really interested in getting a newer version
(not that there's anything wrong with the old one) and it seems like 3.12 has
been out for a long time.  Alternatively, has anyone who has ever used Telix
seen anything at all better?  What I really need is something that does
term emulation >vt102, preferably with Tek4010 or better graphics( yes, I know
Kermit 3.01 has this, but I need something with modem support and Zmodem
built in.)

BTW: If any of you ever get the chance to look into a fiberoptic transfer line
while it's running - you know, just to see if it's working - Don't.
You get a migraine that makes splitting your head open with an axe sound good.
(A friend of mine did this - the fiber line, not the axe.)  I'm not sure why,
but I think it has something to do with the brain's picking the light pulses
up as something more than just a dim yellowish light.

(On the other hand, it could be translation problems- the line was for an
IBM token ring(EBCDIC) - Is the human brain ASCII?)

Erik "Longshot" Green  (No, I'm not nicknamed after the X-Man)

Longshot@vax1.mankato.msus.edu

Sorry if this belonged somewhere else.

ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu (11/04/90)

LONGSHOT@VAX1.MANKATO.MSUS.EDU (A deeper shade of soul) writes:

> Has anyone heard anything about a newer version 4.00 of the Telix telecom
> program?  I use it a lot, so I'm really interested in getting a newer version

Maybe in 6 months or so.  Since 'commercializing' his effort, Colin's been
buried with tax work, paperwork, and more tax work.  After the first of the
year, he'll be back at the keyboard.  There's an update on his board (note:
this is an update to the binary zip file; the filedate wasn't changed, or
anything, but the TELIX.EXE fixes about a half-dozen known, proven problems
(including the infamous destructive backspace routine).

>BTW: If any of you ever get the chance to look into a fiberoptic transfer line
>while it's running - you know, just to see if it's working - Don't.
>You get a migraine that makes splitting your head open with an axe sound good
>(A friend of mine did this - the fiber line, not the axe.)  I'm not sure why,
>but I think it has something to do with the brain's picking the light pulses
>up as something more than just a dim yellowish light.

Strobe lights have been none to induce seizures in certain folks.  I guess
this could be along the same line.

--
  Users at CompuServe can receive mail if you replace the comma in
  their userid with a period and send to userid@compuserve.com.