[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Comments on COPY II PC

kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) (10/18/90)

Hi all,

Just got a mail from Central Point Software, Inc.  Stuf about their new
release of COPYIIPC ver 6.  I'm just curious on the net's concensus on
this software.  It's quite nice offer...$15 (plus ship/handling)

But, last time, when I mail ordered from these guys, it
turned out to be more of a publicity stunt, (bought PC Tools ver. 5.0...)

So should I buy this??

ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu (11/04/90)

kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:

> Just got a mail from Central Point Software, Inc.  Stuf about their new
> release of COPYIIPC ver 6.  I'm just curious on the net's concensus on
> this software.  It's quite nice offer...$15 (plus ship/handling)

If they are selling it for $15, buy it.  If they're upgrading your 5.0
for $15, do it.

Although a commercial product, PC TOOLS is oftenpriced in the shareware
range, depending on your mail order habits, etc.  6.0 has one utility
that has saved my bacon more than once: DISKFIX, a put-the-trashed-disk-
back-together thing that un-corrupts FATS, fixes crosslinks, etc., all
rolled into one.

The disk optimizer (COMPRESS) kinda flops, as it won't handle over 6,000
files in a partition (10,000 in the next update), but isn't bad on smaller
ones.

The disk cache (PC-CACHE) isn't too shabby, especially with extended/
expanded memory, now that they've fixed the delayed write option (available
as un upgrade via download from their bbs).

All in all, not a bad collection of goodies, considering the price.  For
$15, if you don't like it, you can reformat the disks and save money over
buying new ones :-) .

--
  Users at CompuServe can receive mail if you replace the comma in
  their userid with a period and send to userid@compuserve.com.

ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu writes:

> kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:

> > Just got a mail from Central Point Software, Inc.  Stuf about their new
> > release of COPYIIPC ver 6.  I'm just curious on the net's concensus on
> > this software.  It's quite nice offer...$15 (plus ship/handling)

> Although a commercial product, PC TOOLS is oftenpriced in the shareware

Dumb!  Sorry about the off-topic dissertation.

I purchased the COPYIIPC update and was happy to find it supports
copying between different media (1.2 to 1.44, etc.).  Still worth
the $15, especially if they're offering that price for non-updates.

--
  Users at CompuServe can receive mail if you replace the comma in
  their userid with a period and send to userid@compuserve.com.
  This helpful hint is brought to you courtesy of Tips 'R Us.

) (11/05/90)

In article <yP43R1w163w@halcyon.uucp>, ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu writes:
> kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:
>
>> Just got a mail from Central Point Software, Inc.  Stuf about their new
>> release of COPYIIPC ver 6.  I'm just curious on the net's concensus on
>> this software.  It's quite nice offer...$15 (plus ship/handling)
>
> If they are selling it for $15, buy it.  If they're upgrading your 5.0
> for $15, do it.
>
> Although a commercial product, PC TOOLS is oftenpriced in the shareware
> range, depending on your mail order habits, etc.  6.0 has one utility
> that has saved my bacon more than once: DISKFIX, a put-the-trashed-disk-
> back-together thing that un-corrupts FATS, fixes crosslinks, etc., all
> rolled into one.
Are we talking about COPY ][ PC or PC Tools?

 Santanu Sircar                                BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet
 University of Massachusetts/Amherst           INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 "A pig ate his fill of acorns under an oak tree and then started to root
   around the tree.  A crow remarked, `You should not do this.  If you lay bare
   the roots, the tree will wither and die.' `Let it die,' said the pig.  `Who
   cares so long as there are acorns?'"	-"Animal Farm" by George Orwell

millerje@holst.tmc.edu (jeffrey scott miller) (11/05/90)

In article <yP43R1w163w@halcyon.uucp> ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu writes:
>kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:
>
>> Just got a mail from Central Point Software, Inc.  Stuf about their new
>> release of COPYIIPC ver 6.  I'm just curious on the net's concensus on
	      ^^^^^^^^
>> this software.  It's quite nice offer...$15 (plus ship/handling)
>
>If they are selling it for $15, buy it.  If they're upgrading your 5.0
>for $15, do it.
>
>Although a commercial product, PC TOOLS is oftenpriced in the shareware
				^^^^^^^^
[talk about PC TOOLS DELETED]

it appears that he is talking about COPYIIPC, not PCTOOLS.  COPYIIPC is a
bit copier for protected programs.  To answer his question, I have heard that
COPYIIPC does not copy many protected games, just most of the old ones.  I
imagine ver 6 would be better, though.
|  "NUKE THE UNBORN GAY WHALES!"       |  Jeff Miller                         |
|             - graffiti               |  millerje@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu    |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/06/90)

My update offer brochure claims that V.6 CopyIIPC can remove copy
protection from more modert games such as Test Drive I & II, Flight
simulator III, and others. This would eliminate necessity for key
discs. Anyone tried this yet?

--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

) (11/06/90)

In article <sNc5R3w163w@halcyon.uucp>, ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu writes:
> ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu writes:
>
>> kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:
>
>> > Just got a mail from Central Point Software, Inc.  Stuf about their new
>> > release of COPYIIPC ver 6.  I'm just curious on the net's concensus on
>> > this software.  It's quite nice offer...$15 (plus ship/handling)
>
>> Although a commercial product, PC TOOLS is oftenpriced in the shareware
>
> Dumb!  Sorry about the off-topic dissertation.
>
> I purchased the COPYIIPC update and was happy to find it supports
> copying between different media (1.2 to 1.44, etc.).  Still worth
> the $15, especially if they're offering that price for non-updates.
Does someone know how I can order the $15 software?

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (11/06/90)

kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:

>Hi all,
>But, last time, when I mail ordered from these guys, it
>turned out to be more of a publicity stunt, (bought PC Tools ver. 5.0...)

>So should I buy this??
*-------

Why do you think it was a publicity stunt?  I thought PC-Tools 5.0 was
well worth the promotional price.  If the next release hadn't followed
for a year, would you still feel cheated?
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/06/90)

To order an update to CopyIIPC you must be a previously registered user;
The company automatically send you the update offer. If you aren't
registered, the mail order street price is about $35.