times I tried to access simtel the connection was closed with
the message "too many anonymous ftp, try later" or something
of the sort.

I tried to get files from the large library at chyde.uwasa.fi
Here I can get in, but the connection is terribly slow.  I managed
to get a file at 0.030 kB/s (Thats 30 bytes per second !!!), one
somewhat (not much) faster than this but, in most cases, the
remote system hang the connection.

Can the audience recommend other large pools of programs with easier
and faster access?

Thank you,

Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901 \ Fax: (804)-924-6270

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.025027.18746@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) writes:
>I tried to get files from the large library at chyde.uwasa.fi
>Here I can get in, but the connection is terribly slow.  I managed
>to get a file at 0.030 kB/s (Thats 30 bytes per second !!!), one
>somewhat (not much) faster than this but, in most cases, the
>remote system hang the connection.

That  is probably because in  Central Europe they are having  troubles
with the connections.  I  know because I   was trying nearly  the same
connection  only on the  opposite direction.   It  broke  down several
times.   Luckily  we have  such fine utilities   like batchftp.  Also,
remember this and don't judge sites and there reachabilities after one
trying. It is not fair...

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
  P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (11/08/90)

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) writes:
>I normally get speeds around 7 kb/sec when downloading from
>anonymous ftp sites in the US.  However, the last half-dozen
>times I tried to access simtel the connection was closed with
>the message "too many anonymous ftp, try later" or something
>of the sort.

If you are on a host that runs BSD Unix you can use AutoFTP or
BatchFTP to get files from SIMTEL20.  They both can be run as
background processes while you do other work.  They attempt to log in
at pseudo-random times.  Being persistant is the key here.  You CAN
get files from SIMTEL20.  Just keep trying like you would for a busy
phone line.

>I tried to get files from the large library at chyde.uwasa.fi
>Here I can get in, but the connection is terribly slow.  I managed
>to get a file at 0.030 kB/s (Thats 30 bytes per second !!!), one
>somewhat (not much) faster than this but, in most cases, the
>remote system hang the connection.

I've been very concerned about Timo encouraging everyone to get files
from uwasa.fi instead of telling users in North America to avoid the
overseas path by using one of the many other archives in the USA such
as SIMTEL20 and wuarchive.wustl.edu.  The overseas network connections
should not be clogged with such ftp connections.  It has a drastic
effect on delivery of email.

Now that uwasa.fi has an email server this will only get worse.  I
hope they will alter the server to filter addresses, serving only
Europe and the Far East.  Users in the USA should be limited to email
servers in the USA.  Timo's programs and most of the other msdos files
on uwasa are available from SIMTEL20 and wuarchive.

If we don't take some action on this now, I expect the network
management people will do it for us.  The network cannot stand the
overload.

Keith

salmi@finsun.csc.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/08/90)

In article <3737@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:

>>I tried to get files from the large library at chyde.uwasa.fi
>>Here I can get in, but the connection is terribly slow.  I managed
>>to get a file at 0.030 kB/s (Thats 30 bytes per second !!!), one
>>somewhat (not much) faster than this but, in most cases, the
>>remote system hang the connection.
>
>I've been very concerned about Timo encouraging everyone to get files
>from uwasa.fi instead of telling users in North America to avoid the
>overseas path by using one of the many other archives in the USA such
>as SIMTEL20 and wuarchive.wustl.edu.  The overseas network connections
>should not be clogged with such ftp connections.  It has a drastic
>effect on delivery of email.

Ok.  Everyone take a note of what Keith says here.  First contact a
site NEAR you.

>Now that uwasa.fi has an email server this will only get worse.  I
>hope they will alter the server to filter addresses, serving only
>Europe and the Far East.  Users in the USA should be limited to email
>servers in the USA.  Timo's programs and most of the other msdos files

There are two conficting issues here.  One is the very real load
problem.  The other is that this will be one more step backward to
the isolationist direction, just when we are beginning to enjoy the
first realizations of a true global electronic village.

>on uwasa are available from SIMTEL20 and wuarchive.
>
>If we don't take some action on this now, I expect the network
>management people will do it for us.  The network cannot stand the
>overload.

If imposing limitations rather than trying for capacity increases is
going to be the more like reaction, the problem has to be taken all
the more seriously.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov7.171211.15587@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>In article <1990Nov7.025027.18746@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) writes:
>>I tried to get files from the large library at chyde.uwasa.fi
>>Here I can get in, but the connection is terribly slow.  I managed
>>to get a file at 0.030 kB/s (Thats 30 bytes per second !!!), one
>>somewhat (not much) faster than this but, in most cases, the
>>remote system hang the connection.
>
>That  is probably because in  Central Europe they are having  troubles
>with the connections.  I  know because I   was trying nearly  the same
>connection  only on the  opposite direction.   It  broke  down several
>times.   Luckily  we have  such fine utilities   like batchftp.  Also,
>remember this and don't judge sites and there reachabilities after one
>trying. It is not fair...
>
>--
>== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================

Easy, easy, I did not judge your site, neither I tried once.  In fact,
I have high regards for the people who take their time to make it
available to all of us. What is fair is that I share several suggestions
I got, which should also help to decrease the interatlantic data flow:

 "wuarchive.wustl.edu has a complete coppy of the Simtel20 archives
 under /mirrors/msdos. They also have the complete archive of this newsgroup
 under /usenet/comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  They might even have a few more files
 under /systems/ibmpc and /pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS.  It is a".edu" site so you should
 have no problem connecting and the download rate is much better than Simtel and
 much much better than Chyde.  I rarely ever have problems getting logged on
 there either.  In short, they have one of the largest archives of public domain
 and shareware software anywhere.  Good luck and happy hunting!"

Enjoy,