[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: Fast VT100 emulator for IBM PC

zerr@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Troy Zerr) (11/09/90)

I'm looking for a vt100 emulator that will work with a 4.77 Mhz PC,
and will run reliably at 9600 baud (or better yet, 19200 baud)
without flow control.  The terminal emulator I use at home (MIRROR III)
works fine on my 286 at 2400 baud, but on the PC in my office at 9600
baud, MIRROR is significantly slower than an AT&T 4425 terminal at the
same speed.

Any suggestions would be welcome, shareware or commercial.  I tried the
SIMTEL index, but without luck.  Please e-mail replies.

Thank you.

-- Troy Zerr

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.022132.29592@schaefer.math.wisc.edu> zerr@math.wisc.edu writes:

>I'm looking for a vt100 emulator that will work with a 4.77 Mhz PC,
>and will run reliably at 9600 baud (or better yet, 19200 baud)
>without flow control.

I have found that MS-Kermit, available from watsun.cc.columbia.edu, works
quite reliably as a VT102, VT220, VT320 emulator.  Since I had a 286 dumped
in my office at work, I've been using MS-Kermit 3.01 as a terminal emulator
for accessing VMS, 4.3BSD, 2.10.1BSD, and SysV 3.2 systems.  Connections
are either direct link, Ungerman-Bass broadband, and various LAT/TCP ethernet
boxes.

Dumped the ProComm, Polystar, or whatever that came along with the machine.
The emulation implementation was the pits which resulted in different set-
ups being required for each environment.

XON/XOFF flow control is provided since it is part of the VT emulation.
I don't understand your comment about no flow control.  A VT100 can't
support a 9600 baud line without using XON/XOFF flow control.

Merton