[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] fortune/cookie

rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) (11/12/90)

Hi,

I'm looking for a forture/cookie program that accepts a file of "one-liners"
in a straight text format.  The one Simpson/fortune program that I've seen
has the text of the "one-liners" imbedded in the binary itself.  I consider
this pretty useless as I am forced for a new "release" just so more lines
can be added to the program.  If what I'm looking for does not exist then
I'd be interested in the source code to a fortune like program that I can
modify myself.

Thanx,
Ed Stuart
rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon

teskey@plains.NoDak.edu (Dr. Snake Voivod) (11/13/90)

In article <QbDg=Fm00WB90FwFty@andrew.cmu.edu> rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) writes:

>I'm looking for a forture/cookie program that accepts a file of "one-liners"
>in a straight text format.  The one Simpson/fortune program that I've seen
>has the text of the "one-liners" imbedded in the binary itself.

I wrote one in JPI Modula-2 to use the standard fortune library used on Unix
systems.  It's not quite straight text (there are some embedded formatting
commands like linefeeds) but it's easily modifyable and appendable.  If this
is satisfactory I can send the program (with it's cookie data file) to
c.b.i.p.

>Ed Stuart
>rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu
>Carnegie Mellon

Mark W. Teskey

INTERNET:                  teskey@plains.nodak.edu
BITNET:                    teskey@plains
UUCP:                      ...!uunet!plains!teskey

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (11/13/90)

In article <QbDg=Fm00WB90FwFty@andrew.cmu.edu> rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) writes:
>I'm looking for a forture/cookie program that accepts a file of "one-liners"
>in a straight text format.

   I may have just the thing for you. It's a public domain program I
wrote to display a randomly selected "quote" - anything delimited by
'$' - from an ordinary text file. With an editor you can easily create
your own quote datafile or modify the one distributed with the program
(currently it holds 550+ quotes). C source is included in the
distribution.

   There's an oldish version of the package available on SIMTEL20 as
pd1:<msdos.txtutl>quote22.zip. Version 2.3 fixes a bug arising when
small quote datafiles are used. Perhaps in the next couple of days I'll
make arrangements to have it placed on SIMTEL20.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania