[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ozshare1 info files

msc@mtcchi.uucp (2664-Michael S. Cross(Z550100)0000) (10/17/90)

Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?

I tried my usual approach: extract the archive and don't overwrite any on the
first pass (say "n" 22 times), overwrite it once on the second pass, once on
the third pass ...  I get to the 5th pass and it skips the rest!

FV (another wonderful utility by Vernon D. Buerg. Ding* Ding* Ding*) shows
that all the info files are of a different length, but I can't get them out
of the package.  (OK, so "zoo -list ozshar1.zoo" says the same thing)
Is there a way to get zoo (ver 2.01) to extract the files into seperate
directories?

Just one other gripe besides all the documentation having the same name ...
it all needs to be converted to DOS.  It's in UNIX(R) CR/LF/NL format.  Ugh.

Mike

--
Michael S. Cross             (msc@mtcchi.UUCP)                  (708)-305-3018
Memorex Telex Corp., 1000 E. Warrenville Rd., Naperville, IL 60563

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct16.210817.19395@mtcchi.uucp> msc@ihcgf.UUCP
(2664-Michael S. Cross) writes:
>Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
>package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?

Well, Mike, I took a look at the list of "info" files and spent about five
minutes cursing the person who zoo'd 'em up for an incompetent fool. Then,
I called up _nu_ from the Norton Utilities, and changed the info files to
infa, infb, infc,... by simply searching for the string "info". Worked fine,
and once unzoo'd, I changed the names to filename.inf, where filename is the
name of the associated executable. Then I zip'd 'em all up (more compact than
a .zoo archive) together.

Having looked them over, my advice is to deepsix the whole thing. I didn't see
a single utility of which I haven't a better version. Many of them are part
of the internal DOS verbs under 4dos, or are easily set up as an aliased var-
iant of same.

We won't even comment on those ridiculous shareware "charges". Cheeeze!

	"It's my _dessert_ that's gross! Look, a thermos full of phlegm!"
						-- Calvin
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct16.210817.19395@mtcchi.uucp>, msc@mtcchi.uucp (2664-Michael S. Cross(Z550100)0000) writes:
> Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
> package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?
>
> [...]
> Is there a way to get zoo (ver 2.01) to extract the files into seperate
> directories?

You should try the so-called "expert" commands of zoo.  You'd see that, in
fact, every "info" goes to a different directory, with the same name as the
utility it describes.

It looks as if the "info" files were added by the moderator, who didn't want
to post every utility (rather "uslessity" :-) as a different issue.

..> zoo l ozshare1.zoo
     [ list of files, with path information ]
..> zoo x// ozshare1.zoo
     [ extract files, creating sub-directories if needed ]

et voila !

Besides, this package wasted enough of my time (and that of several others,
I believe), for you to spend more time with it.  You see, even if one or the
other utility would be of interest to you, you'll probably dissagree with
it's price...

Markus Fischer, Dpt. of Anthropology, Geneva

In article <1990Oct16.210817.19395@mtcchi.uucp> msc@ihcgf.UUCP (2664-Michael S. Cross) writes:
| Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
| package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?

  Why useless? I spent a hell of a lot of time generating those files,
and I don't take kindly to the term useless. You didn't by any chance
miss the instructions for unpacking which I *carefully put in a text
box* did you?

This is taken from the instructions with that posting:

>>   Right enough, here's the rest of it in one big package, with a short
>> summary here. One per subdirectory, use the x// option.
>>
>>         _________________________________________________________
>>        |                                                         |
>>        |    * be sure to unpack using the // option of zoo *     |
>>        |_________________________________________________________|

  Now if you missed what I said, *twice*, and all the info files are
overwriting each other, then you have my sympathy. If you just find my
descriptions of the files displeasing, you certainly did go public with
it. My guess is that you didn'y use the // option, right?
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

In article <1990Oct18.185950.26929@ariel.unm.edu> ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) writes:

| Well, Mike, I took a look at the list of "info" files and spent about five
| minutes cursing the person who zoo'd 'em up for an incompetent fool.

  See the previous posting on this topic. Sounds like you can't follow
directions, either.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (10/20/90)

In article <2103@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes,
with regard to something I wrote:
>  See the previous posting on this topic. Sounds like you can't follow
>directions, either.

Bill, do you know what a heat tape is? It's a sort of plastic, linear electric
blanket you wrap around a pipe to keep it from freezing in cold weather.

Some years back, I wrapped one around a plastic pipe, running it up the pipe,
then back down, wrapping the second layer on top of the first. It turns out
you're not supposed to do that. A couple of nights later, I was out there
swearing in the mud as I excavated the part of the pipe where the tape had
melted through....

The thermostat is sealed in what looks like a length of Tygon (TM) tubing,
heat-crimped at the ends where the wires go through. Inside that tubing,
along with the thermostat, is a little piece of paper with the printing:

		"If all else fails, read the directions."

Yep. Like you say....

	"You can't name one business the government has
			ever been in that it didn't screw up."
						-- Wayne Green w2nsd/1
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct16.210817.19395@mtcchi.uucp> msc@ihcgf.UUCP (2664-Michael S. Cross) writes:
#Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
#package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?

Yes.  It's really difficult - you have to read the instructions Bill wrote
at the start of the file :-)

In case you didn't keep the uuencoded original and only have the .zoo file -
you need to extract into the original subdirectories, by doing
zoo x//      instead of your usual zoo x

Then each utility will go into its own subdirectory, complete with its own
INFO file.

Regards,          "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"
        David Wright             STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk  <or> ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww  <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
<or> /g=David/s=Wright/org=STC Technology Ltd/prmd=STC plc/admd=Gold 400/co=GB

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (11/09/90)

In article <1990Oct16.210817.19395@mtcchi.uucp>, msc@mtcchi.uucp (2664-Michael S. Cross(Z550100)0000) writes:
>Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
>package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?
>
>I tried my usual approach: extract the archive and don't overwrite any on the
>first pass (say "n" 22 times), overwrite it once on the second pass, once on
>the third pass ...  I get to the 5th pass and it skips the rest!
>
>FV (another wonderful utility by Vernon D. Buerg. Ding* Ding* Ding*) shows
>that all the info files are of a different length, but I can't get them out
>of the package.  (OK, so "zoo -list ozshar1.zoo" says the same thing)
>Is there a way to get zoo (ver 2.01) to extract the files into seperate
>directories?
>
>Just one other gripe besides all the documentation having the same name ...
>it all needs to be converted to DOS.  It's in UNIX(R) CR/LF/NL format.  Ugh.
>
>Mike
>
>--
>Michael S. Cross             (msc@mtcchi.UUCP)                  (708)-305-3018
>Memorex Telex Corp., 1000 E. Warrenville Rd., Naperville, IL 60563
>________________________To Live is to risk Dying______________________________

You're going to get inundated with mail on this one, so let me be one of
the first.  You need to do a Zoo \\ (I believe or //) to have it extract to
sub-directories. Try "zoo h" to see what the exact syntax is.

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

In article <1990Oct16.210817.19395@mtcchi.uucp> msc@ihcgf.UUCP (2664-Michael S. Cross) writes:
| Well, there are quite a few (useless) "info" files in the ozshare1.zoo
| package.  Anyone have a good idea how to get them out?

  Who is reposting all this stuff from this time last month?
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX