[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] THis may seem dumb..but maybe it's just me.

v090nqly@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Maria C Cano) (11/15/90)

Can ANYONE simplify thed set-up instructions for tele replica.
I can't get the thing to work
I followed the setup directions but I can't get it to dial out .
And if possible does anyone have a .tr file which i can see to pattern mine
after.
the manual was no help or maybe I have to spend an our or so figuring how to
get this thing to atlest run.

HELP
         NEgus of nothing (at least not Telereplica)

doug@giaea.gi.oz (doug thomson) (11/15/90)

In article <46229@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v090nqly@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Can ANYONE simplify thed set-up instructions for tele replica.

The manual supplied with the version of TeleReplica posted to c.b.i.p
(version 1.2) lacked any examples of how TeleReplica might be installed
in real situations. This lack has been remedied in the current version
(2.8). I understand that TeleReplica version 2.8 is available by
anonymous FTP from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, 128.214.12.3 as
/pc/pd2/tr2-8.zip or from SIMTEL20 as PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>TR2-8.ZIP
(use whichever site is closest to you).

>I can't get the thing to work

What is really needed is a full installation program that tests and
checks hardware and modem configurations, and then suggests workable
settings... but when I will find time to write such a program (if ever)
is another question! I guess this is one of the things you pay for
in the commercial packages...

>I followed the setup directions but I can't get it to dial out .

The most likely explanation for this is that your modem is configured
to report that it always has a carrier detected. When there
is no CD, TR talks to the modem (i.e. sends dial commands, and if you
type something it gets sent direct to the modem, and anything the modem
sends gets displayed just like in a normal comms program). When there
is a CD signal, TR assumes it is talking to TRHOST at the other end of
the line, and what it sends would make no sense to a modem! If you are
using a Hayes-AT-command-compatible modem the command needed is at&c1.

>And if possible does anyone have a .tr file which i can see to pattern mine
>after.

I presume the TR.TR file supplied was no use? The manual for version 2.8
includes some likely modifications that might need to be made to the .TR
files...

>the manual was no help or maybe I have to spend an our or so figuring how to
>get this thing to atlest run.

Well, I wouldn't be too surprised if it took the best part of an hour to
get it all working. It has taken me longer than that to get certain
similar commercial packages working!

>HELP

Hope this helps a bit,

Doug.