[net.followup] How about a temporary net.libya?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/03/86)

	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.  This was done with
net.coke when new Coke came out (net.coke *did* get removed, didn't it?) so
why not with this stuff.

	There have been some suggestions in the past to create a temp
distribution for this type of stuff; temp.libya would suit me just fine.
Presumably, the brou-ha will settle down in a few weeks, and we can rmgroup
it then.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) (05/06/86)

> 	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
> of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
> create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.  This was done with
> net.coke when new Coke came out (net.coke *did* get removed, didn't it?) so
> why not with this stuff.
>
> 	There have been some suggestions in the past to create a temp
> distribution for this type of stuff; temp.libya would suit me just fine.
> Presumably, the brou-ha will settle down in a few weeks, and we can rmgroup
> it then.
> --
> Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
> System Administrator, Public Health Research Institute
> 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm sick and tired of paging through all the articles
with a Subject of 'RE: Air raid on Libya'. If and when this group is created,
off. Very good suggestion, Roy.

--
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Tim Thompson  414 Morton Hall  Ohio University  Athens, Ohio  45701

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (05/06/86)

This is a good idea, and I should have thought of it before.
While the name net.misc.libya or even net.misc.terror is obvious,
I'm inclined to put it in net.politics.terror and consider leaving
it there as a permanent group, unless traffic dies out.  I'd consider
it a soapbox group to be moved to talk.politics.terror at the same
time as net.politics would be moved.  (This move seems likely, but
no decision has been made yet.  Watch net.news.group for more.)

Unless I receive significant opposing opinions in by Thursday May 8,
I'll create net.politics.terror and put something in net.announce
asking traffic to move there.

	Mark Horton

steve@miduet.mifnet.gec-mi-ate.co.uk (Steve Lademann) (05/07/86)

In article <2332@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
>of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
>create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.

Amen to that! I seem to have spent weeks reading or (more recently) skipping
over a (telephone bill-wise) fortune's worth of repeated pontifications by
people who would be better off arguing with each other until blue in the face
in a newsgroup which I can then ignore. But one is sort of OBLIGED to read
and receive net.followup, so one can't dodge it!

"Beware the Juggernauts, my son" (Willie Rushton)
|Steve Lademann         |Phone: 44 727 59292 x326               |
|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve |
|St. Albans    AL4 0JN  |NRS  : steve@uk.co.gec-mi-ate.mifnet   |
|Herts.   UK            |                                       |
---------------------------------------------------------- /\H --
|"The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect"| /__\  |
|"those of my employer, and may not even reflect my own"| |  |  |

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (05/09/86)

> > 	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
> > of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
> > create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.  This was done with
> > --
> > Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
>
> I wholeheartedly agree. I'm sick and tired of paging through all the articles
> with a Subject of 'RE: Air raid on Libya'. If and when this group is created,
> Tim Thompson  414 Morton Hall  Ohio University  Athens, Ohio  45701

The discussion on Libya covers a current event of considerable interest
to many net.people. There is great concern about the impact of the
Libyan raid, its efficacy and repercussions. I do not think it is right
to try to deligitimize the discussion. Hitting the "n" key should not
be all that traumatic for those so inclined.

In article <243@oucs.UUCP> tim@oucs.UUCP writes:
>> 	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
>> of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
>> create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.  This was done with
>> net.coke when new Coke came out (net.coke *did* get removed, didn't it?) so
>> why not with this stuff.
>>
>> 	There have been some suggestions in the past to create a temp
>> distribution for this type of stuff; temp.libya would suit me just fine.
>> Presumably, the brou-ha will settle down in a few weeks, and we can rmgroup
>> it then.
>
>I wholeheartedly agree. I'm sick and tired of paging through all the articles
>with a Subject of 'RE: Air raid on Libya'. If and when this group is created,
>I could unsubscribe to it, and not listen to everyone and his brother spouting
>off. Very good suggestion, Roy.

I don't think the net can react quickly enough to make this kind of solution
viable.  It takes two weeks for the discussion to become obtrusive enough
for it to be recognized as a reasonable subject for temporary group.  (News
moves slowly, and the greatest volumn is in follow-ups.)  Another week is
required for the decision to be made to create the newsgroup, and another
week or two for the new group to spread through the net, and for people to
start using it.  By that time, interest has waned, and the number of
articles is way down, anyhow.

How many articles ever got submitted to the Coke(tm) newsgroup, anyhow?

In article <2087@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP writes:
>This is a good idea, and I should have thought of it before.
>While the name net.misc.libya or even net.misc.terror is obvious,
>I'm inclined to put it in net.politics.terror and consider leaving
>it there as a permanent group, unless traffic dies out.
>
>Unless I receive significant opposing opinions in by Thursday May 8,
>I'll create net.politics.terror and put something in net.announce
>asking traffic to move there.

I think this makes my point about net traffic speed.  I didn't even see this
message until May 9.

On the other hand, net.politics.terror is a fine idea.  The only question I
have is whether net.politics.mideast might not be an even better one.  (I
don't think we need both.)  There has been an awfully lot of Mideast
discussion in net.politics, and I would love to have an easy way to avoid
all of it.

Any seconds?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/10/86)

	I suggested forming temp.libya, Mark Horton thought it was a good
idea and proposed making it net.politics.terror, somebody else jumped the
gun and sent out a newgroup message for n.p.t, and then...

In article <311@cad.UUCP> hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) writes:
> I do not think it is right to try to deligitimize the discussion

	Who said anything about "deligitimizing" the discussion?  Just give
it it's own group.  If anything, that lends a certain air of legitimacy to
it since it shows it's important enough to be recognized.  People like me
who don't want to know about it get to shut it off painlessly.  People who
want to talk about it get a consolidated place to do so.  Neither of us is
right and neither of us is wrong; we just have different interests.  Since
everybody wins, what's the problem?
--

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (05/12/86)

In article <2343@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	I suggested forming temp.libya, Mark Horton thought it was a good
> idea and proposed making it net.politics.terror, somebody else jumped the
> gun and sent out a newgroup message for n.p.t, and then...
>
> In article <311@cad.UUCP> hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) writes:
> > I do not think it is right to try to deligitimize the discussion
>
> 	Who said anything about "deligitimizing" the discussion?  Just give
> it it's own group.  If anything, that lends a certain air of legitimacy

Those who *have* been following the discussion on Libya will recognize
that it branched into the Israeli-Palestinian problem, the relations
with NATO allies, gun control, the rationality of U.S. foreign policy,
international law, U.S. media coverage of international events, encrypted
messages and Nazism, to mention a few topics. The discussion digressed
and came back, as all of these are inter-related issues. How does one
define the boundaries of the discussion? When is it a discussion of
Libya and when is it not? When is it a discussion of terror and when
is it not? These are all political issues. It seems to me those who
have an aversion to them (and are loath to hit the "n" key) should
either not read net.politics, or start their own circumscribed group.

For whatever it is worth, that is my opinion.

osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (05/12/86)

Uh, regarding limiting a net.politics.terror to net.Libya: my vote is "no."

I have several reasons for saying this. First, Libyan terrorism, while very
salient upon the world scene, is part of a MUCH larger socio-political
context which cannot be ignored. Aspects of this context would inevitably
be drawn into the discussion, anyway, so why not allow as much comprehensive-
ness as we need to make our points?

Second, much of this context will deal with the multitude of ideologies
corresponding the various rationales for terrorism/non-terrorism. Kadafy's
hatred of our long-standing support of Zionism is a case in point. Indeed,
Zionism (esp. that from 1940 to about 1975) has been responsible for atrocities
that in many cases would make Nazism look pale in comparison, both in coldness
and in consistence. Taken as a whole since the Balfour Declaration of 1917,
Israel's sanction of wholesale slaughter and mass disspossesion makes
Kadafy's look like a church picnic. Any protracted discussion of terrorism
and hatred of the U.S./Britian will eventually have to take this sort of thing
into account, as well as a few dozen other "versions of the story" on BOTH
sides.

So, in my opinion, we should keep it at net.politics.terror, since that's what
the content will inevitably include anyway. In fact, I'd be more comfortable
with something like net.politics.mideast.

Ron Morgan

and dispossession makes Kadafy's look like a church picnic.
--
osmigo1, UTexas Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  osmigo1@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) (05/13/86)

In article <311@cad.UUCP> hijab@cad.UUCP writes:
>The discussion on Libya covers a current event of considerable interest
>to many net.people. There is great concern about the impact of the
>Libyan raid, its efficacy and repercussions. I do not think it is right
>to try to deligitimize the discussion. Hitting the "n" key should not
>be all that traumatic for those so inclined.

I don't think it matters how "important" an issue is. Even if the entire
user community agreed on the importance of the Libyan air raid, what's
wrong with important discussions in net.politics (or any other newsgroup
covering the more precise subject)? The "considerable interest to many
net.people" should be compared to the non-interest of all the others.
I've got the impression that there are tens of thousands of net readers
out there, and so far only a relatively diminutive minority has actively
participated in the current "discussion".

To sort out the material I want, I've subscribed to subject-specific groups.
As I'm also interested in various issues not covered by specific groups, I've
subscribed to net.general (and net.followup), as that's where such issues are
likely to appear. This probably goes true (in theory) for most users of a
communication system like this, which means *nobody* has the ability to
unsubscribe with the argument "I'm not interested in this particular topic",
simply because net.general has no single topic, but rather any topic.

Thus, anything recognizable as belonging to a specific area of interest
should be put in the proper newsgroup, and not in net.general. People
interested in the subject may easily continue the discussion there (with
the exception for non-worldwide newsgroups, but that's another problem).

The (somewhat) hierarchical structure of newsgroups is there to assist users
in their search for useful/intersting items. If hitting the "n" key is the
solution to this problem, why do we then have separate newsgroups at all?
--
Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (05/13/86)

In article <318@cad.UUCP>, hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) writes:
> In article <2343@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> >
> > 	I suggested forming temp.libya, Mark Horton thought it was a good
> > idea and proposed making it net.politics.terror, somebody else jumped the
> > gun and sent out a newgroup message for n.p.t, and then...
> >
> > In article <311@cad.UUCP> hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) writes:
> > > I do not think it is right to try to deligitimize the discussion

  I don't believe the state run terrorists of Libya deserve their own
special news group any more than I believe Charles Manson or Son of Sam
deserve their own special interest group.  Libya has gotten too much media
attention already, which is exactly what they want.  It would not be a bad
idea to have perhaps a net.terrorist news group and lump Syria, Iran, Libya,
and such countries together under their common doctrines.  Aside from all this,
discussions for and against the disciplining of Libya has chewed up too much
valuable disk space of hundreds of systems around the country.  Seems like a
lot of unnecessary pollution to me.  Libya just isn't THAT important.  Now if
someone suggested a net.Soviet or net.Soviet.lifestyles or net.Soviet.intentions
or some such news group of this type, I could see the importance and general
benefit of it.

ray

mkr@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (05/14/86)

In article <243@oucs.UUCP> tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) writes:

>> 	There has been so much talk about the Libyan air raid on all sorts
>> of groups (politics, general, followup, etc) lately that I think we should
>> create a temporary group to isolate all the traffic.  This was done with
>> Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
>
>I wholeheartedly agree. I'm sick and tired of paging through all the articles
>with a Subject of 'RE: Air raid on Libya'. If and when this group is created,
>I could unsubscribe to it, and not listen to everyone and his brother spouting
>off. Very good suggestion, Roy.
>Tim Thompson  414 Morton Hall  Ohio University  Athens, Ohio  45701

	I don't understand. The Libyan bombing has to be just about the
hottest, most controversial, most debated, most opinion-forming current
event in politics. This is net.politics. If you don't want to talk about
that, then what *do* you want to talk about? If you don't want to read about
hot current political issues, why are you reading net.politics?

Sheeesh!

		--MKR

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (05/15/86)

In article <940@kuling.UUCP>, andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) writes:
> I don't think it matters how "important" an issue is. Even if the entire
> user community agreed on the importance of the Libyan air raid, what's
> wrong with important discussions in net.politics (or any other newsgroup
> covering the more precise subject)? The "considerable interest to many
> net.people" should be compared to the non-interest of all the others.
> Thus, anything recognizable as belonging to a specific area of interest
> should be put in the proper newsgroup, and not in net.general. People
> interested in the subject may easily continue the discussion there (with
> the exception for non-worldwide newsgroups, but that's another problem).
The proper newsgroup is net.politics. or an appropriate derivative.
The problem is the unavailability of net.politics on the European net.
Either net.politics ought to be made available in Europe, or an
appropriately defined group be created worldwide. Net.politics.libya
or net.politics.terror are NOT appropriate derivatives for two reasons:
(1) The nature of the discussion is such that many issues are intertwined
(2) The label "terror" would appear to confine the discussion or worse,
placing in that category issues which do not properly belong there.