[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] LADDER for MSDOS??

jjj@blob.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) (10/31/90)

Still remember Ladder, the famous CP/M game?

Has anybody ported this to work under MSDOS?

Yes, I know it's possible to run ladder under CP/M-emulators, but for
certain reasons this is out of questions.

PS. I am still looking for a copy of ADVENTURE which would work under
MSDOS?!

--
jjj@niksula.hut.fi
jjj@otax.tky.hut.fi

fire me, fire					until you die

magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.142756.1650@santra.uucp> jjj@niksula.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) writes:

>PS. I am still looking for a copy of ADVENTURE which would work under
>MSDOS?!

About a month ago, I compiled the "enhanced" version of Adventure (the original
Colossal cave game + several new puzzles, such as the elves' castle) that was
posted on comp.sources.games earlier this year.

If people are interested, I could make it available with anonymous FTP.

Magnus Olsson                   | \e+      /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics    |  \  Z   / q
University of Lund, Sweden      |   >----<
Internet: magnus@thep.lu.se     |  /      \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO@SELDC52          | /e-      \q

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (11/01/90)

In article <0093F039.C010E040@router.jhuapl.edu> tcs@router.jhuapl.edu writes:
>In article <1990Oct31.142756.1650@santra.uucp>, jjj@blob.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) writes:
>>
>>Still remember Ladder, the famous CP/M game?
>>
>>Has anybody ported this to work under MSDOS?
>>
>>Yes, I know it's possible to run ladder under CP/M-emulators, but for
>>certain reasons this is out of questions.
>>

>>PS. I am still looking for a copy of ADVENTURE which would work under
>>MSDOS?!
>>
>>--
>>jjj@niksula.hut.fi
>>jjj@otax.tky.hut.fi
>>
>>fire me, fire					until you die
>
>I have an old copy of Adventure that works on MS-Dos. I don't know if this
>is the one you are looking for, though. It seems to be quite small and
>looks like a pre-Zork game. A friend of mine has a larger one, but it's
>backed up on tape (paper tape) and he has no way of reading it.
>
>Carl Schelin                      | "I wouldn't hurt a fly,
>tcs@router.jhuapl.edu             |  but only because they taste funny."

MS-DOS executables for both Adventure and Dungeon are available
for ftp from c.scs.uiuc.edu. They are the appropriate .zip files:
pcadvent.zip and pcdungeon.zip.

Doug McDonald

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.142756.1650@santra.uucp>, jjj@blob.hut.fi (Joni Jaakko J{rvenkyl{) writes:

>Still remember Ladder, the famous CP/M game?
>
>Has anybody ported this to work under MSDOS?
>
>Yes, I know it's possible to run ladder under CP/M-emulators, but for
>certain reasons this is out of questions.
>

>PS. I am still looking for a copy of ADVENTURE which would work under
>MSDOS?!
>
>--
>jjj@niksula.hut.fi
>jjj@otax.tky.hut.fi
>
>fire me, fire					until you die

I have an old copy of Adventure that works on MS-Dos. I don't know if this
is the one you are looking for, though. It seems to be quite small and
looks like a pre-Zork game. A friend of mine has a larger one, but it's
backed up on tape (paper tape) and he has no way of reading it.

Carl Schelin                      | "I wouldn't hurt a fly,
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu             |  but only because they taste funny."

sm5y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Samuel Antonio Minter) (11/05/90)

2448201.532 Jul

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d: 31-Oct-90 LADDER for
> MSDOS?? Joni J. J{rvenkyl{@blob. (361)

> Still remember Ladder, the famous CP/M game?

> Has anybody ported this to work under MSDOS?

> Yes, I know it's possible to run ladder under CP/M-emulators, but for
> certain reasons this is out of questions.

I still have the CP/M version lying around and occationally dust off the
Kaypro 2 to play... but I'd really love to get an MS-DOS version.  If
anyone knows of one please post!!

        --Abulsme

2448201.533 Jul

jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) (11/16/90)

sm5y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Samuel Antonio Minter) writes:

>> Still remember Ladder, the famous CP/M game?

>> Has anybody ported this to work under MSDOS?

>I still have the CP/M version lying around and occationally dust off the
>Kaypro 2 to play... but I'd really love to get an MS-DOS version.  If
>anyone knows of one please post!!

>        --Abulsme

Weel, I used to work at the computing center of the Technical Univ. of
Helsinki (called TeKoLa) here in Finland.  We also had a kaypro & LADDER
but only ONE, so we made one (the game, I mean :-) from scratch.
We made it in PASCAL using ONLY standard features (well, of course we
DID have to use a few EXTERNs for video output), so that we got it to
work also on the DEC-20 under TOPS-20 using PAX (the Pascal compiler
people at TeKoLa had made) as the compiler.  The main target then was an
Ericsson Step/One PC (it was actually Panasonic somethingorother, an MSDOS
machine anyway...) and it worked BEAUTIFULLY (this was 1983, I think)!

I think I did quite a few bits of the work, but I ain't sure who did what.
Anyway, when I moved down from DEC-20 to PCs (I went to work, instead of
hacking at the computing center anymore :-(, I got a IBM compatible and
changed a few bit & pieces to get it working on an IBM XT.  The compiler
was MS-PASCAL (a version BEFORE 3.20 or something like that) and the year
was 1984.  After that I have given the binaries to anybody who asks, but
I've never had time to make any changes (there has also been no need for
them...).

I think I can still find the source if somebody is interested, but I
think it should be converted to C (it ain't big...  REALLY).

The end result was an ALMOST EXACT copy of (look-and-feel, you know) of
the LADDER on Kaypro.  We even looked at the screens on Kaypro and
used them as a startup screens, but we DID make some new ones as well..

The screens are kept in a TEXT file (like in WANDERER), so making new
or changing existing is trivial...

jpk	- JP Koivisto
---
EMail:	jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi

PS.	I added comp.sources.wanted to 'Newsgroups' as I DO HAVE SOURCE!