[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FDFORMAT16

HAMPE2@DMRHRZ11.BITNET ("C.H. Hochstaetter") (11/16/90)

To get FDFORMAT work on your XT, no FDREAD is neccessary. FDREAD is
only required on AT class machines. Standard XT Controllers allow
to read Disks with more than the standard sectors without a TSR.

Thus I used 286 instructions to make FDREAD less memory consuming.
Simply don't load FDREAD when you use FDFORMAT, when you are using
an XT-Computer

regards

Christoph
HAMPE2@DMRHRZ11.BITNET
HAMPE2%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (11/16/90)

In article <901115164154.HAMPE2@DMRHRZ11.BITNET> HAMPE2@DMRHRZ11.BITNET ("C.H. Hochstaetter") writes:
>To get FDFORMAT work on your XT, no FDREAD is neccessary. FDREAD is
>only required on AT class machines. Standard XT Controllers allow
>to read Disks with more than the standard sectors without a TSR.
>
>Thus I used 286 instructions to make FDREAD less memory consuming.
>Simply don't load FDREAD when you use FDFORMAT, when you are using
>an XT-Computer
>
>regards
>
>Christoph
>HAMPE2@DMRHRZ11.BITNET
>HAMPE2%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

On a PS/2 model 30, with 720k 3 1/2 " disk drive, you
need FDREAD to format/read 820k diskettes.

So I still use FDREAD from FDFORMAT 1.5.

By the way, FDFORMAT is a great program!

Michael Schaap
msschaa@cs.vu.nl