[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Elvis-->Docs, Program, and Source

ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) (11/13/90)

Everything you never wanted to know about elvis (docs, source, and the
program itself) is at uwasa.fi (anonymous ftp).

Now, if someone wants, it can be uploaded to SIMTEL, since they don't
cary programs without docs.

--
David Frascone
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastdf

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (11/14/90)

In article <16951@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) writes:
> Everything you never wanted to know about elvis (docs, source, and the
> program itself) is at uwasa.fi (anonymous ftp).
> Now, if someone wants, it can be uploaded to SIMTEL, since they don't
> cary programs without docs.

One of the great things about c.b.i.p. is that it provides quality
freeware & shareware for those of us who don't have off-site ftp.
I'd be surprised if anyone who regularly reads this group is unaware of
uwasa.fi.  But it's of no value to us w/o ftp and neither is simtel20.
What would be more useful, to me at least, would be a reference to a BBS.
	Rick

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (11/15/90)

In article <1888@raybed2.msd.ray.com> rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) writes:
	[DELETIONS]

>One of the great things about c.b.i.p. is that it provides quality
>freeware & shareware for those of us who don't have off-site ftp.
>I'd be surprised if anyone who regularly reads this group is unaware of
>uwasa.fi.  But it's of no value to us w/o ftp and neither is simtel20.
>What would be more useful, to me at least, would be a reference to a BBS.
>	Rick

	But...Don't I see information posted frequently that
		tells me how to receive files from SIMTEL
		by E-mail?

	(There is a mail server).

	And...On BBSs: Everytime Petersen posts, doesn't his sig give
		info about Detroit Download Central, where all the
		SIMTEL stuff can be had?
Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu (11/15/90)

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) writes:

> I'd be surprised if anyone who regularly reads this group is unaware of
> uwasa.fi.  But it's of no value to us w/o ftp and neither is simtel20.
> What would be more useful, to me at least, would be a reference to a BBS.

Who wants to call LD anymore for bbs's?  Not too many folks around here.

The wares from uwasa are available by sending e-mail from your favorite
uucp site.  Sure, you have to do a little more work to get them, but the
price is right.  There's also a server that has the SIMTEL20 stuff.  Check
the past 100 messages or so in this newsgroup for more info.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/15/90)

In article <1888@raybed2.msd.ray.com> rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) writes:

>One of the great things about c.b.i.p. is that it provides quality
>freeware & shareware for those of us who don't have off-site ftp.
>I'd be surprised if anyone who regularly reads this group is unaware of
>uwasa.fi.  But it's of no value to us w/o ftp and neither is simtel20.
>What would be more useful, to me at least, would be a reference to a BBS.

Partly agreed, but are you unaware of mail servers for these ftp
sites.  I've sent out messages including the two prerecorded parts
(see below) I don't know how many times.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.3, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply, and you wouldn't
be able to utilize the mail server anyway.)

 ! North American users please note.  Maintainer of SIMTEL20    !
 ! archives Keith Petersen has expressed a wish that you first  !
 ! try one of the many archives in the USA such as SIMTEL20 and !
 ! wuarchive.wustl.edu instead of overseas sites to cut down    !
 ! the load on the overseas link.  Please contact him for       !
 ! further information on SIMTEL20 usage.  One of his email     !
 ! addresses is w8sdz@@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  For the other   !
 ! users the reciprocal seems logical.  First take a look at    !
 ! uwasa.fi archives (or some other European site).             !

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/15/90)

In article <4878@trantor.harris-atd.com>, sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
> In article <1888@raybed2.msd.ray.com> rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) writes:
> 	[DELETIONS]
>>
>>One of the great things about c.b.i.p. is that it provides quality
>>freeware & shareware for those of us who don't have off-site ftp.
>>I'd be surprised if anyone who regularly reads this group is unaware of
>>uwasa.fi.  But it's of no value to us w/o ftp and neither is simtel20.
>>What would be more useful, to me at least, would be a reference to a BBS.
>>	Rick
>
> 	But...Don't I see information posted frequently that
> 		tells me how to receive files from SIMTEL
> 		by E-mail?
>
> 	(There is a mail server).

Yes, I see that often.  I even managed to get the help file forwarded
to me by my postmaster because the return address was bunged up.  Today's
try to get the index by sending mail (instead of replying to a news
posting) bounced on a "User unknown".  I am determined to solve these
puzzles, but that's not what they are paying me for.

(the parenthesis above is because our newsreader seems to know how
to construct addresses but I don't.  However, our newsreader sticks
funny names into return addresses [apparently something essential
happens on a processor called bashfl that doesn't know who I am
when an answer comes].)

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle) (11/16/90)

Out of curiosity, how many sites have news, but don't have either ftp OR e-mail?
I guess that if the site can send and receive news that the physical connections
exist, but does not necessarily have the software.

I know that when I used the CSEG BBS in Arkansas that it was both on the
internet and carried news.  However, it didn't have ftp OR email.  (The
internet access was used for people on the net to access the BBS, but
locals couldn't access the net.  I may be wrong about this as I didn't have
a decent way of accessing the BBS at the time I was using it, so didn't play
with it much).  I know this didn't affect me, as I was using telnet to access
it, but I don't *think* that the locals could get out.

Anyway, the point is that sites do exist with their ONLY connection to the
outside world being news.  They can't use ftp, nor can they use the e-mail
servers.  But, how wide spread it that, I wonder?

Sorry that this is rather incoherent, but I didn't get much sleep.  :->  Such
is the life of a college student.  :->

Chiaow (purposeful butchering of spelling intended),
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                    mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (11/16/90)

In article <4878@trantor.harris-atd.com>, sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
> In article <1888@raybed2.msd.ray.com> rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) writes:
> 	[DELETIONS]
> >...don't have off-site ftp...
> >What would be more useful, to me at least, would be a reference to a BBS.
>
> 	(There is a mail server).

Unfortunately, our site is not allowed use of mail servers (although we
do have email).  I have no idea whether this is a common situation.

> 	And...On BBSs: Everytime Petersen posts, doesn't his sig give
> 		info about Detroit Download Central, where all the
> 		SIMTEL stuff can be had?

Thanks for that pointer.  Since I'd gotten in the habit of always
skipping SIMTEL postings, I'd missed the DDC info.  But that too has a
down side since subscription services are out of the question at work.
I can, however, dial the DDC from home.  That's LD Boston to Detroit,
but at least it's a sure thing.  If it were free, I could use it from
work.  That's why, after c.b.i.p., I prefer BBSs.
	Rick

In article <4878@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

| 	And...On BBSs: Everytime Petersen posts, doesn't his sig give
| 		info about Detroit Download Central, where all the
| 		SIMTEL stuff can be had?

  People are too cheap to *pay* for stuff. I just got several notes by
mail telling me that I was a bandit to ask $10/month for uucp access on
this system, they hadn't been paying the $15/yr (optional) fee for BBS
and they sure weren't going to pay more for uucp.

  On top of just writing a check for another replacement 320MB drive and
reading 30 complaining posts about elvis, I can't imagine the whiners
being willing to pay fees and phone bills to get service.

  Now, if one of the complainers about my bank of slow modems would just
get mad enough to send me a couple of T2500's, I bought the serial card
I need to support them, and I have FAS, so... Nah, but I did have one
person mail me software on a 360k floppy and tell me I could keep it, I
guess I shouldn't complain.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX