[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for VT220/ANSI escape codes

) (11/16/90)

Does anyone know where I can get a list of VT220/ANSI escape codes?  I wish
to split the screen, save/restore the cursor position and other fancy things.
Thanks....

 Santanu Sircar                                BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet
 University of Massachusetts/Amherst           INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 "A pig ate his fill of acorns under an oak tree and then started to root
   around the tree.  A crow remarked, `You should not do this.  If you lay bare
   the roots, the tree will wither and die.' `Let it die,' said the pig.  `Who
   cares so long as there are acorns?'"	-"Animal Farm" by George Orwell

@crdgw1.crd.ge.com:@eddie.mit.edu:SSIRCAR@ecs.umass.edu (exos:) (11/16/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,comp.os.vms,comp.binaries.ibm.pc
Subject: Looking for VT220/ANSI escape codes
Date: 15 Nov 90 16:12:15 GMT
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to comp.binaries.ibm.pc

Does anyone know where I can get a list of DEC VT220/ANSI escape codes?  I'm
looking for escape codes to split a screen and save/restore the cursor.

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (11/19/90)

In article <11452.2742bf22@ecs.umass.edu>, ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get a list of VT220/ANSI escape codes?  I wish
> to split the screen, save/restore the cursor position and other fancy things.
> Thanks....

I couldn't find the complete reference (your best bet is a technical library),
but the portion of VT220 ANSI codes that are used in the DOS environment are
fully explained in the DOS Technical Reference Manual.  You can also take a
look at some files available on Simtel20:
PD1:<MSDOS.SCREEN>
   ANSI-ESC.DOC   Reference for ANSI escape sequences
   NANSI.TCP      Unix termcap for NANSI.SYS
   NNANSI.*       [New new ANSI.SYS - more codes are defined]
   [...]
PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTIL>
   ANSI-SYS.ARC   Tutorial on use of ANSI codes
   [...]

The `save/restore cursor' sequence is part of DOS' standard ANSI, NNANSI also
has some features like `delete end of screen' and `insert line', but I'm not
shure about `scroll up'.

Hope this helps some

Markus Fischer, Dpt of Anthropology, Geneva.