[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Comspec

ornstein@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Jason Ornstein) (11/20/90)

Well, this is about the fastest place to get a reply to which I need
an an answer really quick like.  I keep running out to of environment
space and I need to set the comspec to a bigger value (1024k) but I
don't have a DOS manual that has the command line for it, and I know
that its late and no one would be open at this hour.  If you could
please mail me the set comspec to enlarge my environment space I would
be indebted to you (or many of yous) :->

Thanks in advance
                                  __o  Jason Ornstein -- Located at
               __o              -\<,     ornstein@tramp.Colorado.EDU
              -\<,  ...........O / O
.............O/ O  I am still.  Still I am.       -- RIDE THE WIND!

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (11/21/90)

In article <> ornstein@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Jason Ornstein) writes:
>Well, this is about the fastest place to get a reply to which I need
>an an answer really quick like.  I keep running out to of environment
>space and I need to set the comspec to a bigger value (1024k) but I
>don't have a DOS manual that has the command line for it, and I know
>that its late and no one would be open at this hour.  If you could
>please mail me the set comspec to enlarge my environment space I would
>be indebted to you (or many of yous) :->

The COMSPEC variable doesn't do it.  In MS-DOS v 3.2 or higher, you
need to put the following line in your config.sys:

SHELL=C:\{path}\COMMAND.COM /E:1024 /P

where {path} is the path to your command.com.  The /E:#### parameter
sets the environment size, and the /P tells it to use your
autoexec.bat file.  /P is *not* the default; if you leave it off, your
autoexec file will not be 'auto.'  I discovered this when I had to
change my environment size last month...

--
Dave Read                 | readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  |"I will go insane, and
UT-Austin Nuclear Physics | read@physics.utexas.edu    | I WILL TAKE YOU WITH ME