[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] RZSZ.TLB - CRC error?

churchh@ut-emx.uucp (Henry Churchyard) (11/22/90)

 In article <KPETERSEN.12637223786.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>,
 w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
 > Chuck Forsberg's RZ/SZ (Zmodem) for VAX/VMS is available from
 > SIMTEL20:
 >
 > pd3:<misc.vaxvms>
 > RZSZ.TLB        VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc (Text LIB file)
 >
 > Please note that this file should be transferred in binary mode.
 > See your VMS help for how to deal with "Text Library" files.
 > VMS RZ and SZ.  I have tested it on a VMS host I have
 > access to and it does work.  It knows how to transfer binary files in
 > the correct format too.  Best of all, it's faster than Kermit.
 > --
 > Keith Petersen
 > Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

   I think there might be a problem with this program.  I tried to SZ
the file VOL9N20.ZIP (a PC-Magazine file from SIMTEL20) from the VAX
to my PC, and the VAX program and the PC zmodem program disagreed
about the file's CRC.  I used two versions of IBM-PC DSZ.COM program
(2/18/90 and 6/26/90), and put in and left out the -b option to VAX
SZ.EXE, and every time the result was the same: the 1024-byte block at
39936 would be transmitted 4 or 5 times with CRC error, then it would
drop down to 64-byte blocks, and the 64 bytes at 40064 would be
transmitted 15 times (!) with CRC error, and then the file transfer
would abort.  There was nothing wrng with the line or the file (I
successfully transferred it with KERMIT).
--
         --Henry Churchyard     churchh@emx.cc.utexas.edu

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (11/22/90)

In article <40035@ut-emx.uucp> churchh@ut-emx.uucp (Henry Churchyard) writes:

> In article <KPETERSEN.12637223786.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>,
> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
> > Chuck Forsberg's RZ/SZ (Zmodem) for VAX/VMS is available from
> > SIMTEL20:
> >
> > pd3:<misc.vaxvms>
> > RZSZ.TLB        VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc (Text LIB file)
>   I think there might be a problem with this program.  I tried to SZ
>the file VOL9N20.ZIP (a PC-Magazine file from SIMTEL20) from the VAX
>to my PC, and the VAX program and the PC zmodem program disagreed
>about the file's CRC.  I used two versions of IBM-PC DSZ.COM program
>(2/18/90 and 6/26/90), and put in and left out the -b option to VAX
>SZ.EXE, and every time the result was the same: the 1024-byte block at
>39936 would be transmitted 4 or 5 times with CRC error, then it would
>drop down to 64-byte blocks, and the 64 bytes at 40064 would be
>transmitted 15 times (!) with CRC error, and then the file transfer
>would abort.  There was nothing wrng with the line or the file (I
>successfully transferred it with KERMIT).
Did you use 8th bit quoting on your kermit transfer? Zmodem requires an
8 bit transparent path (except for a small number of chars). I had similar
symptoms to yours when some of the communication path was trapping/eating
a few extra control chars. (It might even be a particular sequence of
chars that something on the comm path assumed would never occur and you
have it in your file). I use rz/rz on my Sun work station and I have tried
it on my wife's Apollo. Same program, same file, Apollo exhibits the bad
CRC and the Sun works fine. Go figure.

Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626