[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Timing of uploads

brand@cad.Berkeley.EDU (Graham Brand) (11/21/90)

I have 2 questions regarding uploads to simtel. The first concerns
the frequency. Are uploads done in bulk at a particular time or are
files uploaded as they are received? I would prefer to have to update my
simibm database only once per month.

Secondly, is there a way of just downloading the changes to the list
and running a program to update the old database rather than having to
get the whole file which, at 1200bps, takes forever?

Thanks in advance,
-Graham
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: Re: Looking for VT220/ANSI escape codes
jcs@engr.uark.edu (James Sullins) (11/22/90)

brand@cad.Berkeley.EDU (Graham Brand) writes:

>I have 2 questions regarding uploads to simtel. The first concerns
>the frequency. Are uploads done in bulk at a particular time or are
>files uploaded as they are received? I would prefer to have to update my
>simibm database only once per month.

>Secondly, is there a way of just downloading the changes to the list
>and running a program to update the old database rather than having to
>get the whole file which, at 1200bps, takes forever?

I have written two small utility programs that allows you to just
download the changes to the simibm file. I have been using them for
over a year to update the simibm list on my PC.

I have posted this info before and the only response I got was
that I should just stick to "THE UTILITIES - diff and patch" ...
Diff and Patch are MUCH SLOWER than my utilities. I can wait forever
and Diff and Patch won't produce files that I can send to simcvt
to see the additions or deletions.

 - James

Sometimes people are too afraid of standards and compatibility issues
to make any progress!

--
James Sullins      |