[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] EGA/VGA RESIDENT SCREEN FONTS PROGRAM WANTED!

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (11/15/90)

A while back I found a nice set of memory resident EGA/VGA screen
fonts.. All you had to do was load in a small 1-2K memory
resident program which changed the screen font and remained
active even in other text applications! This was really nice
but I have since lost it! It came with about 25-35 fonts!! If
anyone has the programs or know where I can get it please
let me know.. I tried SIMTEL but I don't think I was able to find
any... Thanks!
George

--
George Wang
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (11/21/90)

In article <kshaffer.659035683@rlxdev> kshaffer@modcomp.uucp
(Ken Shaffer) writes:
>In <1990Nov15.042600.10316@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
(George Wang) writes:

>>A while back I found a nice set of memory resident EGA/VGA screen
>>fonts.. All you had to do was load in a small 1-2K memory
>>resident program which changed the screen font and remained
>>active even in other text applications! This was really nice
>>but I have since lost it! It came with about 25-35 fonts!! If
>>anyone has the programs or know where I can get it please
>>let me know.. I tried SIMTEL but I don't think I was able to find
>>any... Thanks!
>>George
>
>I found it on simtel in the ega directory as "egafont.arc"

I don't think this is what he was referring to.  The "egafont.arc" is the
popular CHET program (Character Editor) for EGA which comes with a few (1 or 2)
fonts for 8x14 and 8x8 characters, but none for VGA.  There is a program
called "vgafont.arc" or something like that which I've seen with 2 different
fonts for VGA but no editing capablility.  Also, there is a "fontedit.arc" or
something like that for VGA which has character editing capability like
CHET (nice user interface) but lacks any fonts.  If there really is a program
out there that has 25-30 fonts for VGA, I'd love to get my hands on it.  I
can't beleive there are people out there who are actually satisfied with
the ugly screen font provided by IBM 10 years ago and has somehow survived to
this day :-)

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail: {bu-cs,talcott}   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:      !encore!schwalbe   `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (11/27/90)

In article <13316@encore.Encore.COM> schwalbe@pinocchio.UUCP (Jim Schwalbe) writes:
>(George Wang) writes:
>>
>>>A while back I found a nice set of memory resident EGA/VGA screen
>>>fonts.. All you had to do was load in a small 1-2K memory
>>>resident program which changed the screen font and remained
>>>active even in other text applications! This was really nice
>>>but I have since lost it! It came with about 25-35 fonts!! If
>>>anyone has the programs or know where I can get it please
>>>let me know.. I tried SIMTEL but I don't think I was able to find
>>>any... Thanks!
>>>George
>>
>>I found it on simtel in the ega directory as "egafont.arc"
>
>I don't think this is what he was referring to.  The "egafont.arc" is the
>popular CHET program (Character Editor) for EGA which comes with a few (1 or 2)
>fonts for 8x14 and 8x8 characters, but none for VGA.  There is a program
>called "vgafont.arc" or something like that which I've seen with 2 different
>fonts for VGA but no editing capablility.  Also, there is a "fontedit.arc" or
>something like that for VGA which has character editing capability like
>CHET (nice user interface) but lacks any fonts.  If there really is a program
>out there that has 25-30 fonts for VGA, I'd love to get my hands on it.  I
>can't beleive there are people out there who are actually satisfied with
>the ugly screen font provided by IBM 10 years ago and has somehow survived to
>this day :-)

Well, guess what folks?? I *HAVE* found a friend who has
actually written such a program and it takes up *ZERO* k of memory..
It's called FONTS (Comes with 57 FONTS!!!) and is written by
the same folks who wrote PLAYMAC mac sound program for the PC..
Right now it is in the beta mode so as soon as it is officially
released I'll let you folks know.. You can be sure it will
be on SIMTEL when it gets released (Keith himself would like
the program...)

George