[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Where is GIF2BMP.EXE located?

tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) (11/28/90)

Can anyone tell me where to find a program called GIF2BMP which converts
gif files to Microsoft's bmp format?

I need this to convert my gif files so I can load them into MS Windows.
Incidentally, what is the best way to get a .bmp file loaded as the "root"
pattern of MS Windows?

Thanks in advance,
	Devon Tuck

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (11/28/90)

In article <8012@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> tuck@iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where to find a program called GIF2BMP which converts
>gif files to Microsoft's bmp format?

Found at Simtel20 in <MSDOS.WINDOWS3>

Some sort of printscreen/alt-printscreent/shift-printscreen should dump it to	the clipboard if you're viewing with a standard gif viewer, and running in
386 enhanced mode.  Not sure if this traps the color though.

Ooppss... in reading more carefully the manual on page 58, it says this will
not work for non-Windows apps running in graphics mode.  Sorry about that...

>I need this to convert my gif files so I can load them into MS Windows.
>Incidentally, what is the best way to get a .bmp file loaded as the "root"
>pattern of MS Windows?

Looking in the manual (you have the manual, don't you?), on the subject of
'Choosing Desktop Options,' go to the Control Panel, choose the Desktop
icon.  In the Desktop dialog box, click on the down arrow in the Wallpaper
box.  This will list a bunch of .bmp files that you can select from.  Or
you can just type in the full path name the the file if it's not in your
windows directory.  This starts on page 152 of the manual.

--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Dick Reichenbach) (11/29/90)

Many people lately have been asking for these type of programs.
I use a commercial program called HiJaak.
HiJaak supports the following graphics formats.
Amiga ILBM
Compuserve GIF
Assorted types of FAX boards
Gem Paint - .IMG
Halo - .CUT
HP Laserjet Language - HP-PCL
HP Plotter - HPGL
Inset - .PIX
Lotus - .PIC
Macintosh Macpaint
Mac Macpaint files saved without the header
Microsoft Paint version 1 and 2 (.PIX - I think)
NewsMaster
PC Paintbrush - (.PIX or .BMP - I think)
PrintMaster
TIFF (both compressed and uncompressed)
and WordPerfect - .WPG

Hijaak also supports Postscript and encapsulated (compressed - I think)
  Postscript when converting from something else.  (It can't read postscript,
  it can only write it)

I use it mostly for converting my gifs to Wordperfect graphics files, so I can
put them in my documents.  It does a much better job than the cheap converter
that exists in Simtel20.  It does have some problems with color.  But color
is always difficult when going to B&W.  It still does a better job than other
programs.
--
  DDDDDD             k                | reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu
  D     D  `   cccc  k  kk   (^8      | Dick C. Reichenbach