[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] NetHack

baruchc@techunix.BITNET (Baruch Cochavy) (06/03/89)

Can someone please send me PART 1 of NETHACK23 posting ? Apparently, our
node missed that one.

        Thanks in advance,
        Baruch

        baruchc@techunix.BITNET
        baruchc@techunix.technion.AC.IL
OR, if you send the file, send it to:
        blue@techunix.BITNET

yogi@shum.Huji.AC.IL (Yossi Gil) (06/14/89)

Me too please!

tinle@fiver.UUCP (Tin Le) (07/11/89)

A while back, NetHack was posted on the net.  I managed to grab parts
1-3, 5-9 but not 4 of 9.  If you have it, could I get a copy from you?
Please email and say that you have it and how I may get it.  Don't
just send it as I might get multiple copies.

My net address is: tinle@aimt.uunet or {wyse,weitek,uunet}!aimt!tinle

Thanks!

Tin Le

OP.BACKUS%SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU@wasatch.utah.edu (Steven Backus) (08/23/89)

Hello netland,
  Is the source to nethack available somewhere (hopefully via anonymous
ftp access)?

  Send replies to backus@science.utah.edu.

Steve

In article (Steven Backus) writes:
>  Is the source to nethack available somewhere (hopefully via anonymous
>ftp access)?

Yes, there is.  Try ftp uunet.uu.net.  It's in volume 7 (perhaps of
games or sources.games [I can't remember for sure - look and you'll find
it]).

Now for my question: Does anybody know the difference between nethack3
and NetHack3 on uunet.uu.net?  Replies here (so everybody benefits) or at
hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu.  Thanks.  Ken

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!frith!hendrick

nebakke@ndsuvax.UUCP (Jeff Bakke) (08/27/89)

The sources are available and kept up to date with the current
patch information at uunet.uu.net under the NH3.0 directory
in tar.compress.uudecode format.

Jeff Bakke
nebakke@plains.Nodak.edu

ajr@inesc.UUCP (Julio Raposo) (01/04/90)

	While still waiting for the rest of PC-WRITE and RATAPL, I received
	nethack and uudecoded it. After several hours on that job and
	reading the text files in the package, I tried to run it. The only
	message I could get was:

		- Not enough memory to run.

	I don't know what Raoul is doing but I am very unhappy about his
	last postings.

					Antonio Julio Raposo

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/06/90)

In article <192@inesc.UUCP> ajr@inesc.UUCP (Julio Raposo) writes:

>	While still waiting for the rest of PC-WRITE and RATAPL, I received
>	nethack and uudecoded it. After several hours on that job and
>	reading the text files in the package, I tried to run it. The only
>	message I could get was:
>
>		- Not enough memory to run.
>
>	I don't know what Raoul is doing but I am very unhappy about his
>	last postings.

if you read the README file that comes with it, you will find that it
states QUITE CLEARLY that it is a definite memory hog. You must strip almost
everything out of your system (tsr's, etc) and get at least 540K free before it
will run.

Once I do this (I have a batch file that copies stripped versions of config.sys
and autoexec.bat with no tsr's and drivers, then does a warm boot to get ready
to play, then another batch file to switch me back), it works fine.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (01/06/90)

In article <192@inesc.UUCP>, ajr@inesc.UUCP (Julio Raposo) writes:

> 	While still waiting for the rest of PC-WRITE and RATAPL, I received
> 	nethack and uudecoded it. After several hours on that job and
> 	reading the text files in the package, I tried to run it. The only
> 	message I could get was:
>
> 		- Not enough memory to run.
>
> 	I don't know what Raoul is doing but I am very unhappy about his
> 	last postings.
>
> 					Antonio Julio Raposo

The text files included with nethack clearly state that the game is
huge and must be run on a minimum system to maximize the amount of
available memory.  Try creating a bootable floppy with everything
stripped out, ie no cache, no tsr's, nothing except ansi.sys.  This
should give you enough memory to get nethack to run on a 640k
system.  If you have a system with less than 640k you're SOL.
Bashing Rahul because you can't follow simple directions is no way
to gain sympathy.  Polite questions (and spelling his name right)
will get you a lot farther.

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

ps  What part of the unpacking of nethack took you "several hours"?

ctl8588@rigel.tamu.edu (LAUGHLIN, CHETLEY TAYLOR) (11/29/90)

Where can I lay my hands on NetHack?

| Chet Laughlin                  CTL8588@RIGEL.TAMU.EDU         |
|   "I have no opinions as I          (128.194.4.4)             |
|    do not exist, my lawyers                                   |
|    told me so."                                               |

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (11/29/90)

In article <7212@lanl.gov> ctl8588@rigel.tamu.edu writes:
>Where can I lay my hands on NetHack?

This would be better posted to rec.games.hack.  :->
This response would be best sent via e-mail :->
Sorry, all.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'