[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] emacs?

tim@vicom.com (Tim Richardson) (11/29/90)

Does anyone know of an emacs editor for DOS, or an emacs clone or
something close to emacs?
--
Tim Richardson
  ames!vsi1!tim   tim@vicom.com

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.224151.29170@vicom.com>, tim@vicom.com (Tim Richardson) writes...
>Does anyone know of an emacs editor for DOS, or an emacs clone or
>something close to emacs?
>--
>Tim Richardson
>  ames!vsi1!tim   tim@vicom.com

Yes...see the folder titled EMACS.COMP....emacs for the
PC is up to version 3.10e   I have version 3.10e+8
(which includes a true kill-ring, and some other nice
features).

Only prob I have is the +8 version was compiled with the
mouse flag set false :-(

Anyway, you can get them from anonymous FTP at any of these:

     midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
     wuarchive.wustl.edu  in /mirrors/msdos/memacs dir.
     wsmr-simtel.army.mil  in PD2:(unix.c-editors)

also FREEmacs (smaller type of emacs) is at:

     grape.ecs.clarkson.edu

and MG (a GNU-ish microemacs) is at:

     snow.white.toronto.edu      in /pub/mg

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (11/29/90)

J414DOC.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>   Doc for JOVE (Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs)
J414EXE.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>   JOVE, alternative version of Emacs text editor
CONTRIB.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> Contributed MINT code for FreEMACS 1.6a editor
EMAC16AS.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a text editor - .ASM sources
EMACS100.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a Zenith Z-100 - requires EMACS16A
EMACS16A.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a text editor - main distribution
EMACSEGA.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a collection of EGA utilities
EMACSPEL.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a spelling checker
ETAGS.ZIP    PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> A TAGS package, for FreEMACS 1.6a text editor
FAKE101.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> An enhanced keyboard emulator for FreEMACS
FORTEX.ZIP   PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> Fortran, TeX, & BibTeX modes for FreEMACS 1.6a
FREEMACS.INF PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a text editor information
HISTORY.MIN  PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> Command history package for FreEMACS v1.6a
MANUALS.INF  PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> FreEMACS 1.6a text editor manual ordering info
PATCH1.MIN   PD1:<MSDOS.FREEMACS> Patches for FreEMACS v1.6a
UE310110.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - HP 110 MSDOS portable
UE310150.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - HP 150 MSDOS
UE310ANS.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - MSDOS w/ANSI graphics
UE310C.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 C source code
UE310CMD.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 Command and startup files
UE310DG.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - Data General 10 PC
UE310DOC.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 Documentation
UE310H.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 Header and assembly files
UE310IBM.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - IBMPC MONO/CGA/EGA/VGA
UE310MAK.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 Makefiles and linkfiles
UE310TI.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - Texas Inst. Professional
UE310Z3.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>   MicroEMACS 3.10 EXE - Zenith 100 PC series

These are all available at simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory
listed above (PD1:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )  or at wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4)
in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx.

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America:

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also:
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

In Europe use:

          TRICKLE@TREARN    ("Turgut Kalfaoglu"   <TURGUT@TREARN>)
          TRICKLE@IMIPOLI   ("Marco Gandolfi"     <MARCO@IMIPOLI>)
          TRICKLE@BANUFS11  ("Michel Daulie"      <DAULIE@BANUFS11>)
          TRICKLE@AWIWUW11  ("Gustaf Neumann"     <NEUMANN@AWIWUW11>)
          TRICKLE@DB0FUB11  ("Wolfram Fassbender" <EARNIE@DB0FUB11>)
          TRICKLE@EB0UB011  ("Oriol Robert"       <ZCCBORR@EB0UB011>)
(note:  these are EARN/BITNET style addresses.  If anyone has Internet
        style addresses, please let me know.  TRICKLE@TREAN.BITNET might
        work, but not sure).

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

Much of the above can be found in the help files associated with each mail
server.

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

In article <1990Nov28.224151.29170@vicom.com> tim@vicom.com (Tim Richardson) writes:

   Does anyone know of an emacs editor for DOS, or an emacs clone or
   something close to emacs?

Freemacs is a programmable editor.  The .EXE file is only 21K because
it only contains a language interpreter and text editor primitives.  The
bulk of the programming is done in MINT, which is a string-oriented
language.  Freemacs is yet another Emacs clone.  Emacs was first written
at MIT by Richard M. Stallman.

There are a number of Emacs clones for the PC available.  Freemacs
has three distinguishing characteristics:

o Freemacs is free, and it was designed from the start to be programmable.
o Freemacs is the only IBM-PC editor that tries to be like GNU Emacs.
o Freemacs can only edit files less than 64K in length.

You may freely copy this software.  I only ask that you send improvements
back to me for incorporation into the package for the rest of us.  The
distribution is available from one or more of the following sources:

EMACS16A ARC   The executables and MINT code.
EMACS100 ARC   Zenith Z-100 version.  Requires EMACS16.
EMACSPEL ARC   Spelling checker.
EMACSEGA ARC   A collection of EGA utilities
EMAC16AS ARC   The .ASM source.

CUHUG BBS:

(315)268-6667 - 1200/2400 8N1, 24 hrs.  File area 25.  No registration
required to download Freemacs.

Internet:

Anonymous FTP to simtel20.army.mil from PD:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>

Internet:

Anonymous FTP to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196] from
/e/freemacs

Bitnet && UUCP:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  You may use
archive-server%sun.soe@omnigate if you are on Bitnet, or
{smart-host}!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!archive-server if you are using
UUCP.  The mail message should consist of 'help'.  If you do not
get a reply within a day, then your return path is broken.  You'll
need to use the path command to give a mail address that our mailer
can grok.  Our mailer can send mail to any address with an '@' in it,
with the exception of ".UUCP" pseudo-addresses.

Or else send $15 (copying fee) to the author.  This will assure you of the
latest version.  Please specify floppy format:
  5.25", 1.2 Meg
  5.25", 360K
  3.50", 720K

			Russell Nelson
			11 Grant St.
			Potsdam, NY 13676
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson