[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for a Few Good Programs

appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) (11/27/90)

Can anyone tell me if anything like the following is available:
(I'm looking for shareware or public domain here...)

1) A telecommunications program that:
   a) interfaces well with vga (ie can support 50 or so lines, other cutsies)
   b) has zmodem protocol
   c) has some type of script language (like procomm)
2) A tar program for the IBM

Looked at the good ftp sites, and haven't seen either or these...

peterson@choctaw.csc.ti.com (Bob Peterson) (11/27/90)

In article <APPEL.90Nov26212338@headcrash.ocf.Berkeley.EDU>
	appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if anything like the following is available:
>(I'm looking for shareware or public domain here...)
>
>1) A telecommunications program that:
>   a) interfaces well with vga (ie can support 50 or so lines, other cutsies)
>   b) has zmodem protocol
>   c) has some type of script language (like procomm)

  TELIX (currently at version 3.12) offers all the above features, and more.
The author asks $39 for Telix after a 45 day evaluation period.  Telix
supports ZModem internally, which means you can (optionally) have Telix
automatically initiate the ZModem protocol when the remote system begins
sending a file.  The script language looks a lot like C, and is compiled into
a tokenized form.  The language is powerful enough that BBS systems have been
written in it.

  I've used Telix for quite some time.  It handles high speed lines, e.g.,
19,200 bps into a port selector, very well.  If your system has a 16550 UART,
Telix will detect it and enable the 16550's internal buffers.

>2) A tar program for the IBM
>
>Looked at the good ftp sites, and haven't seen either or these...

  Try a local BBS?

    Bob

Bob Peterson                Compuserve: 70235,326          Expressway Site,
Texas Instruments           Internet: peterson@csc.ti.com   North Building,
P.O. Box 655474, MS238      Landline: (214) 995-6080         2nd Floor,
Dallas, Texas, USA 75265                                      CSC Aisle C3

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.124943.22928@csc.ti.com> peterson@choctaw.csc.ti.com (Bob Peterson) writes:
>In article <APPEL.90Nov26212338@headcrash.ocf.Berkeley.EDU>
>	appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) writes:
>
>>2) A tar program for the IBM
>>
>>Looked at the good ftp sites, and haven't seen either or these...
>
>  Try a local BBS?

Alternatively look again!  (First get uwasa.fi INDEX and Simtel20
simibm.arc.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (11/28/90)

In article <APPEL.90Nov26212338@headcrash.ocf.Berkeley.EDU> appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if anything like the following is available:
>(I'm looking for shareware or public domain here...)
>
>2) A tar program for the IBM
>
>Looked at the good ftp sites, and haven't seen either or these...

DETAR11.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>  Process a TAR file on PC
PAX2EXE.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>  PAX v2.0 - Unix-like tar and cpio for MS-DOS
PDTAR.ARC    PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>  Read/write TAR files on PC
TAR.ZIP      PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>  Unix-compatible TAR archive maker/extractor
TARREAD.EXE  PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER> Read Unix TAR files on a PC

These are all available at simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory
listed above (PD1:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )  or at wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4)
in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx.

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America:

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also:
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

In Europe use:

          TRICKLE@TREARN    ("Turgut Kalfaoglu"   <TURGUT@TREARN>)
          TRICKLE@IMIPOLI   ("Marco Gandolfi"     <MARCO@IMIPOLI>)
          TRICKLE@BANUFS11  ("Michel Daulie"      <DAULIE@BANUFS11>)
          TRICKLE@AWIWUW11  ("Gustaf Neumann"     <NEUMANN@AWIWUW11>)
          TRICKLE@DB0FUB11  ("Wolfram Fassbender" <EARNIE@DB0FUB11>)
          TRICKLE@EB0UB011  ("Oriol Robert"       <ZCCBORR@EB0UB011>)
(note:  these are EARN/BITNET style addresses.  If anyone has Internet
        style addresses, please let me know.  TRICKLE@TREAN.BITNET might
        work, but not sure).

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

Much of the above can be found in the help files associated with each mail
server.

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) (11/28/90)

Thanks to all who responded.  I got a copy of Telix, and of Pdtar and they
both look quite nice.

Shannon

mendi@netcom.UUCP (Greg Mendizabal) (11/28/90)

From article <APPEL.90Nov26212338@headcrash.ocf.Berkeley.EDU>, by appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel):
> Can anyone tell me if anything like the following is available:
> (I'm looking for shareware or public domain here...)
>
> 1) A telecommunications program that:
>    a) interfaces well with vga (ie can support 50 or so lines, other cutsies)
>    b) has zmodem protocol
>    c) has some type of script language (like procomm)

ZCOMM or PRO-YAM (for UNIX and I believe DOS) is written by Chuck Forsberg of
Zmodem fame so you get extra Zmodem perks not avail in DSZ.  It pretty much
handles any screen output you want.
  Some caveats:  1.  Command line interface (you have to make menus)
                 2.  Somewhat complicated (User Hostile?)

  Some Plusses:  1.  Very very very powerful
                 2.  Turbo learn program will write virtually perfect
                     logon scripts.
                 3.  Very extensive scripting--flexible

I've been using it for a year or so and still find new stuff.  Try it.
Zcomm is Shareware.  PRO-YAM (its big brother) is commercial.

Email me (netcom!mendi@apple.com) or whatever is in header for more details.

GRM

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/30/90)

<
<1) A telecommunications program that:
<   a) interfaces well with vga (ie can support 50 or so lines, other cutsies)
<   b) has zmodem protocol
<   c) has some type of script language (like procomm)

Get RBCOMM from Simtel20.  Simply Excellent!  FREEWARE, too!

<2) A tar program for the IBM

Grab PAX from Simtel20.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |