[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: boot-switch UNIX/DOS

moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) (11/22/90)

Hey there,

I am looking for a boot-switcher to choose booting from either DOS or UNIX
partition at startup-time. Unitl now, I have to switch the active partition
using fdisk all the time. That's annoying, isn't it?

Bye,
     Henning Moeller.

kokody2@me.utoronto.ca (Gerry Kokodyniak) (11/23/90)

moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) writes:

>Hey there,

>I am looking for a boot-switcher to choose booting from either DOS or UNIX
>partition at startup-time. Unitl now, I have to switch the active partition
>using fdisk all the time. That's annoying, isn't it?

>Bye,
>     Henning Moeller.

I solve the problem by making the unix partition the active partition and
boot DOS from a floppy. I leave the dos diskette in drive a: and open the
drive door whenever I want to boot up unix. It isn't elegant but it works!

Gerry Kokodyniak

Gerry Kokodyniak, Ph.D. Student            Department of Mechanical Engineering
kokody2@me.toronto.edu                            University of Toronto
kokody2@me.utoronto.ca                       Structural Integrity Fatigue and
kokody2@ME.UTORONTO.BITNET                     Fracture Research Laboratory
{linus,allegra,decvax,floyd}!utcsri!me!kokody2        (416) 978-6853

In article <7221@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) writes:

| I am looking for a boot-switcher to choose booting from either DOS or UNIX
| partition at startup-time. Unitl now, I have to switch the active partition
| using fdisk all the time. That's annoying, isn't it?

  This is a "quality of implementation" issue in the UNIX. The SCO
variants and Dell V.4 give that option. I would like to see a program
for DOS which does the same thing, since some UNIX vendors don't have
it.

  You find it and I'll post it.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (11/23/90)

When I had a Xenix/DOS system, I wrote batch files (for DOS) and scripts
(for Xenix) that redirected input into fdisk, thereby automating going
back and forth between them.  This is no great trick;  you can
redirect input into fdisk or its analogues under virtually every
version of PC Unix.

For xenix in particular, you can always leave the Xenix partition
active and type 'dos' at the colon prompt when you turn your machine
on.  This is a little stub loader that boots the DOS partition.

I would read the manuals for your Unix flavor; or call tech support --
this is such a universal problem, the vendor may already supply a
solution.

             Kent Williams --- williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
"'Is this heaven?' --- 'No, this is Iowa'" - from the movie "Field of Dreams"
"This isn't heaven, ... this is Cleveland" - Harry Allard, in "The Stupids Die"
--

dionj@netcom.UUCP (Dion Johnson) (11/24/90)

From article <7221@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de-, by moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen):
- Hey there,
- I am looking for a boot-switcher to choose booting from either DOS or UNIX
- partition at startup-time. Unitl now, I have to switch the active partition
- using fdisk all the time. That's annoying, isn't it?
- Bye,
-      Henning Moeller.

With SCO UNIX and XENIX you can set up the SCO OS as active partition, and
at the SCO boot prompt, enter either "unix" or "dos" and it will then proceed
to boot the selected system for you.
--
Dion L. Johnson  -- the material above is my personal opinion, and has no
official sanction or relevance to any corporate position or policies of

kurtk@dino (Kurt Klingbeil) (11/24/90)

From article <90Nov22.145500est.20288@me.utoronto.ca>, by kokody2@me.utoronto.ca (Gerry Kokodyniak):
>>I am looking for a boot-switcher to choose booting from either DOS or UNIX
>>partition at startup-time. Unitl now, I have to switch the active partition
>>using fdisk all the time. That's annoying, isn't it?

COHERENT from Mark Williams comes with a replacement for sector#1 - the
partition table/partition selector...  It looks at the keyboard just after
trying the floppy and will boot off partition 'n' depending on which numeric
key one has pressed...

One could either buy COHERENT for $99 just for this feature, or hack together
a bit of code based on microsoft's version which currently scans the partition
table to find the bootable entry.

I'll try to throw something together suitable for posting.  (I'll even resist
the urge to scan mwc's code first - for hints and such)

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (11/26/90)

In article <2347@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <7221@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) writes:
>
>| I am looking for a boot-switcher to choose booting from either DOS or UNIX
>  This is a "quality of implementation" issue in the UNIX. The SCO
>  You find it and I'll post it.

Ok, I have this running on my 386 running Unix/DOS.  It is a boot sector
replacement that allows you to choose between dos and unix at boot time.
There are two versions, because if you use one of the partition managers
(such as Disk Manager) they use part of the boot sector and must not be
stomped on.  The difference in the two versions is that one has a menu
and allows unattended auto-boot of the desired partition.  The other one
cannot auto-boot, there must always be an operator to select the
partition.  The program allows you to save your existing boot sector and
try either of the programs.  If there is a problem with the auto-boot
version for example, you can re-load without losing your partitions.

This program runs under Unix (if you haven't got Unix, you don't really
need it, eh?), is in source form.  I *really* appreciate having it.
I don't know where the appropriate place to post it would be: since it
runs on Unix, and isn't binary, c.b.i.p. seems like a strange place to
put it.  Since it is only usefull if you are running multiple OS, putting
it in c.s.u. doesn't seem right either.  I got it out of comp.unix.sysv386
a month or so ago.  If I got it off the net, is it fair to put it back
on the net without checking with the author?

Give feedback, and I will do what seems appropriate.

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?

In article <797@fnx.UUCP> del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) writes:

| This program runs under Unix (if you haven't got Unix, you don't really
| need it, eh?), is in source form.

  It might be that people would run both DOS and the "half an operating
system" or something else other than unix.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

blue@techunix.BITNET (Baruch Cochavy) (12/01/90)

I recall a program called MFBOOT that appeared in MINIX group some time
ago, that enabled selection of the boot partition. I can dig up my
archive if needed, or better, maybe the original post can be located at
the minix archive site.

        Baruch

--
Baruch Cochavy |   Disk space --           |  blue@techunix.BITNET