[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] HD from LD

sauron@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Patrick Ryan) (11/22/90)

I, too, have tried punching the extra hole to format low-density 3.5's
as high.  I found that I got a few bad sectors, and have gotten several
data errors on these diskettes, usually in files occurring between the 500
to 900 Kb mark on the diskette.  In other words, the outer part of the disk
media.  Now, whether this is due to particles on the media, or the fact that
thses are LOW end 3.5's, I have no idea.  Anybody else have a similar
problem?  I've got a HD Panasonic 3.5" drive, could it be that's a problem?

--
+-----------------------------------------/
+--------------------------------------/

leo@ashtate (Leo C.P. Leung) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov22.143403.9911@stretch.cs.mun.ca> sauron@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Patrick Ryan) writes:
>I, too, have tried punching the extra hole to format low-density 3.5's
>as high.  I found that I got a few bad sectors, and have gotten several
>data errors on these diskettes, usually in files occurring between the 500
>to 900 Kb mark on the diskette.  In other words, the outer part of the disk
>media.  Now, whether this is due to particles on the media, or the fact that
>thses are LOW end 3.5's, I have no idea.  Anybody else have a similar
>problem?  I've got a HD Panasonic 3.5" drive, could it be that's a problem?

   In general the DS/DD 3.5" should be able to format to 1.44Meg.
   All the disk's platters are punched out from the same magnectiv
   sheets.  (They are about table-size then put through circular cutters
   to cut out the platters then assemble as floppies)
   I had tried formatting DS/DD on an IBM PS/2 without problems.
   Hmmm....  Maybe you should consider switching to TEAC.
  - Leo -
  reply to : leo@alexis.a-t.com